Follow us on...
Follow us on Google PlusFollow us on TwitterFollow us on FacebookWatch us on YouTubeFollow us on Linkedin

Create Account

Photo

Character Names

Writing Other

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#6 hippiechyck

hippiechyck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • Published Works:Seasons Of A Life, Kindle and Soft Cover
    Sunnie's Rainbow, Kindle and Soft Cover
    Linked in siggy

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

they usually just come to me, with the basic storyline already formed

although, with my Dragonrider fanfic, i need to look up lists of names so i don't use one McCaffrey already used

#7 ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Published Works:ALLON - YA fantasy series
    The Huguenot Sword - Christian historical fiction

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have a baby name book and look up meanings to fit the character. I don't want to make the names hard to pronounce, but I want some unusual. In fact, named one of the immortal characters "Avatar" long before the movie came out. I thought I made it up from a couple of names in the book since I had never heard of an 'avatar' before.

#8 sherrijots

sherrijots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMontana
  • Published Works:The Vrykolakas Deviation

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Sometimes a name pops into my head. Lately, I go to online name websites. I'm fond of one particular site which has a lot of names from cultures around the world. I also use a lot of Latin words, sometimes tweaking them a bit just to make them a little different. I had one character that I described as golden. I found a synonym for gold, tweaked the word a bit and came up with Au'reat.
Come by my website and say hi, leave a comment, words of wisdom are welcome too: Sherri Lackey

#9 silumenye

silumenye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Locationrural Victoria, Australia
  • Published Works:Wolf's Captive

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Sometimes names just drop into your lap out of the sky, as it were. Other times, you can spend hours trying to find the right name.

Because I write fantasy, it can be a little bit harder. Sometimes, I use modern names that do not sound overly modern. Sometimes I use foreign languages to find meanings for certain words - and then tweak them slightly to fit. Sometimes, I even use surnames from actors in films. And sometimes, I just make them up off the top of my head.

Have you ever noticed how some characters pop into your head, with names already attached? And then there are those you just can't find a name for?
Published Author of Wolf's Captive. Go see my book at http://bookstore.wes...s-Captive.aspx. Visit my website http://www.mjdouven.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Banner