Amazon Stops 5,000 Kindle Indie Titles.

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by ShawnLamb, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Read why Amazon stopped the sale of 5,000 Kindle titles by Indie Authors! It's one more strong-arm tactic by Amazon to corner the e-book market.
    http://bitly.com/hfiJoj

2. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

Whhhhhoooooa. Scary.

3. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Yes, it is. Amazon is throwing a temper-tantrum in a blackmail effort to get its way.

4. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

I just made a post on the Huff Post article.
    If they do that with the big guys, who can stop them from pulling anything they want at anytime?

5. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

The worse part is, Amazon is going to be opening up a publisher in Manhattan! Yep, right smack in the face of the Big Six. They are even talking about opening up Amazon Brick-n-mortar stores.

6. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

Wow.. Now that's really something. Brick and mortar stores when offline stores are closing? Hmmm. Sounds like a bad business move to me.

7. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

8. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

I was a little late, but I did not see the link you posted.
    The headline of the link you posted was this:

Amazon Hires Publishing Veteran Kirshbaum for New Imprint

Is that what you were trying to show me?

9. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Yes, that's article. Amazon is attempting to weild it's might in the print side of publishing.

10. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

I don't see how this is a bad thing. They're just expanding their business into the physical world. I have no sympathy for the big six publishers. If they can't update their business model then they'll be eaten up. The big monsters will eat the little monsters. Every other division of the entertainment industry has adapted into the 21st century. Beside, many people aren't willing to pay 14.99 for an ebook, let alone a paperback, its much cheaper to just get a dollar movie from the red box. I love reading and writing but books have a lot of competition. It's like record players. They're still made and around, but basically for novelty.

11. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

It's the monopolistic side of Amazon's cutthroat practices that are the issue, not whether they open a print publishing division. I realize some believe the Big 6 deserve it and the publishing industry needs a dramatic change, but I don't believe Amazon is the one to force that change. Or rather, exchange one strigent gatekeeper (Bix 6) for another (Amazon).

12. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

That's why it's important to "Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth." (Ecclesiastes 11:2). Sony, Nook, Kobo, iTunes, and others are only going to benefit from Amazon's bullying tactics.

Nobody likes a bully. While I don't mind Amazon whooping up on the Big Six ('cause they're bullies, too!), I don't want to see Amazon start acting the same way.

13. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Back in December, the Amazon App Day of going to stores to compare prices then take advantage of Amazon's $5 special and buy from them, got attention from the DOJ. Since then, nothing has happened. Why? Is the government turning a blind eye to Amazon's tactics? Many articles I've read tell of the Big 6 being leary of Amazon and they appauled B&N for refusing to carry any Amazon published books. Of course, Amazon came back with the threat - I mean possibility - of building their own brick and mortar stores.

With the situation of publishing in such flux, it's hard to predict what the industry will look like in a few years.