Amazon'S Kdp

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by deblonge, Jan 11, 2012.

1. deblonge

deblonge New Member

One of my books is enrolled in Amazon's KDP, but I'm wondering now if that was a mistake. I see so many readers borrowing the book but very few sales. Has anyone benefited from KDP yet? What do you think of the program?

2. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

Mine is also with KDP, but I'm not sure how to see how many are borrowing it. Can you tell me where to look? I think it is an awesome way to publicize, but I'm only going to do it for the first three months.

3. deblonge

deblonge New Member

4. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm going to move this over to the writing discussion forum so this gets the attention it deserves. Very interesting topic... I'm looking forward to reading everyone's answers!

5. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

Thanks, deblonge! I had the hardest time trying to find it!

I'll look for it there, Brava. Thanks!

6. mjph

mjph Member

If you mean the KDP Select Program, I also enrolled in it and have not been too impressed.

7. mjph

mjph Member

Ok, so the four-day giveawy is over and I had a total of 398 Downloads. Yesterday was the first day with the book back on sale and I have sold a grand total of one.

I noticed that Amazon has increased the January pot of KDP Selct to $700,000. December ended up paying $1.70 a borrow, I had none. People who get to borrow books only get one book a month if they have paid to enroll in Amazon Prime. I don't believe people are going to spend their precious one borrow on a book like mine. Because of this I have decided barring any unforseen success to not re-enroll in the KDP Select program.

What might convince me to stay is some form of gurantee, but I don't see Amazon doing that. It was a risk, I wasn't selling too much before, so I didn't loose that much by granting Amazon exclusive rights for 90 days.

I did notice as mentioned in an earlier post that the book has increased visibility and rankings through the free giveaways. This little bit of marketing benefit may end up making it all worth it. We will see.​

8. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

I haven't done a free giveaway...can you tell me about that? Do you specify it somehow? Sounds interesting. I put it on KDP in the middle of December. I've sold one and had one borrow. I have sold about 7 hard copies so far. I did a blog tour with 50 bloggers...25 hard copies and 25 PDF's . I have about 15 people on Goodreads that have marked it as 'to-be-read'. (It released Dec. 5th). I'm looking for some new ways to advertise. Maybe doing a Kindle giveaway would help?

9. mjph

mjph Member

M.C.

There is no way to do a free giveaway through Kindle unless you enroll in the Kindle Select program. You are going to want to think deeply about this decision as you will be granting Amazon exclusivity for 90 days. You will have to take your book off sale elsewhere. People seem to be having mixed results with the program.

If you have uploaded to Smashwords you can issue a coupon and give out that code to whomever you wish. You can also set the price at zero. I just noticed that when I did the giveaway through Kindle Select the book becoame more visible through higher rankings.

10. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

I have two books with the KDP process. The free giveaway went well, with over 1000 books downloaded. After the promotion, only about 50. Still, it was a way to get my name and my works out there. One plus, 100 of the sales were to England and Germany. I couldn't have paid for that exposure

Gloria likes this.
  11. PaulineCreeden

PaulineCreeden New Member

actually - you can do a free giveaway, but it's much harder if you're not enrolled in KDP

Here's the second route: You put it for free somewhere else. If it's smashwords, it will take a week or two before it's free at BN.com. Then you get as many people as you can to report that they "found a lower price" to Amazon - then your book will be acknowledged as free. If you can't get people, then just wait 3-4 weeks, and the Amazonbot will find it free at BN or iTunes and then make it free at Amazon. Once you're done with it being free (six weeks later) you raise the price back up again at BN or Smashwords - and after a few days to a week, Amazonbot will pick it up again and raise the price back. VERY DIFFICULT.

My Results from KDP:
    My book was published in October and had approx 10 sales - mostly friends.
    November - sales went up to a whopping 20.
    December - sales increased because I now had a free book (other book) and 2 pay books available. Sold approx 100 books.
    At the end of Dec I went with KDP Select and withdrew from smashwords as I had very little sales compared to Amazon. My book was on a free giveaway from Dec 28-31.
    January - sales have increased! So far in the month of January I have had almost 300 sales and 70 borrows (and if the borrow amount is the same as last month, I'll make more in borrows than on sales.)

So any book I write will be enrolled in KDP Select for 90 days before I pub at smashwords.

While my books were free, I advertised it's freeness on my book blog: spiritfilledkindle.com, Empowering Christian Women, Ereader News Today, etc. This increased my visibilty so that I had almost 5000 downloads of one book, and 1000 of the the other (which was more specialized and free for 2 days instead of 4)

12. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

My contract with KDP ends in March. I used the freebie package and it worked wonders but I think I might do better if I sell it on other devices like the Nook, Kobo, and IPad.

13. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

Great advise. I'll let you know when I do the freebie with KDP!