Anyone Know How To Use Twitter Effectively?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Michael J Scott, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I so rarely use this service - and the truth is, I barely understand it. Besides tweeting my own blog posts or about my book, is there a way to effectively use the site to promote a book? I think it has something to do with the hash tags (#), but I'm not sure and I've never seen it done.

Any help out there? Thanks,

Michael

2. ravendta

ravendta New Member

Not entirely. I used a website called "Triberr" which automatically detects when you've posted a new page to your personal website and automatically tweets it every so often for you. You can also join "Tribes" of people with similar book interests and tweet their material, and they in turn tweet yours. It will generate an increase in traffic to your page, but it also pretty much turns your twitter account into an indie author spam machine. It's up to you to decide if the trade-off is worth it.

I use it because I really have no other use for twitter. lol :)

I'm @KevinDomenic if you want to follow me.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to provide Triberr's address: http://www.triberr.com/

3. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Some great tips. To me that's what Twitter is for . . . it's like an infomercial. Thanks for the tips.

4. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I use a site that auto posts to twitter from my blog but that is about it.

JH

Samantha Fury likes this.
  5. Michael J Scott

I know there's a post on here that talks about the free promotions, and gives Twitter hashtags on some of the "sites" where we can promote... I just don't know how to use stuff like that! Do I write up something like? #FreeBookPromo (made that up) Here's my book, blah, blah, blah - something like that? I dunno.

I'd like to take advantage of this media, but I really don't understand how it works. Oh, the curses of being over 40!

6. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I am also trying to figure Twitter out. Laura Pepper of 30 Day Books website says Twitter is a promotional must. As far as I can tell, hashtags are like keywords or tags you put on blog posts so that people interested in your topic can find your Tweet easily. I haven't tried it yet. I have my website set up to automatically tweet when I post something new. Pepper says you need to engage people however on Twitter, get in a conversation with them, and not just post links and such. I need to work on that since essentially all I do is post links either to my website or other articles I've found interesting across the Internet.

7. Michael J Scott

Okay, that's helpful. So if I were doing a promotion for those Twitter followers (twits? No, that can't be right) who care about free or new e-books, I'd want to find the appropriate hashtag and put it in my tweet about my book. Does that sound correct? Is there a particular format to such a tweet? I'm thinking no, but I'm really at a loss here.

8. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

What I've seen other people do is something like this: "I highly recommend this crime novel Book Title for Crime Novel #crime tinyurl.com/"

I've seen them put several hashtags in their post if it fits with more than one category. I don't think there is a certain format. I suppose the link could go first or the hashtags too. Most folks I've seen put them at the end of their message though.

9. russ5260

russ5260 New Member

Michael, I use twitter very effectively, I think. I have 13 books and 3 websites. I tweet about 1 book a day and the 14 links where it can be found. All I tweet is the name of the book and the URL. These tweets have #hashtags for the different books. Think of hashtags as search terms in a search engine. Here is an example of one of my tweets:

12/01/2013 15:00,"Words of Jesus Bible King James Version in #Kindle #Canada Store","http://ow.ly/fZkF3"

Notice the different format from a normal twitter format. That's because I use a software program called HootSuite. The pro version, which costs $9.99 p/mo and allows you to schedule all of your tweets ahead of time. HootSuite allows you to tweet 350 tweets spread out over the different social networks that you are tweeting to. I have twitter and facebook so I can only have 175 tweets per social network. My personal tweeting is 108 tweets every 1-1/2 hour 24-hours a day 6 days a week - midnight Sunday - midnight Saturday. Is twitter effective. I can say a resounding yes. I tweet about my books that are on the 9 stores that Amazon operates. My international sales were next to nil before I started this. Just this month I have gotten sales in UK, Germany, Canada, and 3 in Japan. I would never have gotten these sales if I had not started tweeting.

10. Michael J Scott

Okay, so do you just tweet the name of the book? And how does that help if no one knows about your book? Or would it make sense to tweet the name of the book with something about the genre? I'm really an utter novice when it comes to Twitter. I'd like to know how to use it, but it still escapes me.

11. russ5260

russ5260 New Member

Michael, That's the way I do it. Other people, their tweet is made up of nothing but hashtags. Since you only have 140 characters it's pretty hard to describe your book in that little space. Some people have the title of the book if it is short and then spice it up with hashtags.

12. Michael J Scott

Okay, new question: I've seen lists of ebook Twitter handles. How would I reach out to those tweeters? I know it's different than just going to a facebook page and leaving a post on a public site.