Book Cover Design

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by fairieswriter, Jan 14, 2012.

1. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

As an indie publisher, I spent a LOT of time on my book cover. I did it all myself...from taking the photographs to creating my own font for the title. I'd love to hear what other people did. Personally, I have a hands up since I'm also an artist. I was a multi-media illustrator in the US Army and graduated from SJSU with a BA in Art. I did a post about how I made the cover on my blog here: How I Made My Cover if you are interested.

Here's a picture of the final product:

[​IMG]

2. Sheila Hollinghead

Sheila Hollinghead New Member

[​IMG] This is my cover. I used Photoscape to do the front and back. I bought a set of fonts and purchased two pictures, the blue jay and the lightning. I took the picture of my granddaughter and my son put the blue jay and my granddaughter's picture together for me. I have to say I love it--perhaps because it's my granddaughter. I used the cover creator at Createspace.

My nonfiction book was also made with the cover creator. My son took the picture at Cypress Springs in Florida. I used just the one picture and just added the title and the scripture on the back. I added a bit of semi-transparent white behind the scripture to allow it to show up better.
    [​IMG]

MaryCFindley likes this.
  3. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

Nice! The cypress is really different looking. I like it.

4. RebeccaPMinor

RebeccaPMinor New Member

I am an artist, but I don't do my own covers if I can help it. I am good for interior illustration, but full color covers are not in my skill set, so I have tapped other friends to help me out in that department. My first cover, friends did the painting and the typography--I just told them what the concept was. The second cover, my painter had other projects on her plate, so I project managed a photo shoot. I just made the map, gathered the items, and developed the composition. People have been poisitve about the results, so I've been pleased with that. My third cover is in process, and I am super excited about it. I'm not going public with it until the Sunday before the book releases, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

Oh, they are lovely!

6. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Rebecca, you covers are wonderful! I design our covers too, and have lately been privileged to get lots of constructive criticism from the writers' groups I have joined. Send a White Rose was kind of "formed by committee."
    [​IMG]

7. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

This one also got lots of good comments. Both are Southwestern Historical Romances.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, I am still figuring things out on this site. Couldn't figure out how to get both pictures in the same post. Got it now. :)

8. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

I used cover creator for this book, using a photo I took in China. My wife did the font and fine tuning on it. I have had a lot of good feedback on it

Attached Files:

9. mjph

mjph Member

Rebecca, those are amazing covers!

10. RebeccaPMinor

RebeccaPMinor New Member

Mike, Mary, M.C.- Thanks so much for the compliments on the covers. Getting art together is a scary thing, isn't it? Since after all, the reading world does "judge a book by its cover." I do find that cover art tends to be something that broadcasts to the public whether a book is from an indie author/small press or from a big publishing house. Hopefully we small guys can band together and make sure what we put on the outside of our books is at least as good as what's on the inside, and also stands up to what you'd see on a bookstore display.

EBraten likes this.
  11. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

I like this one of yours the best.

12. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Thank you. M.C. Pearson!

13. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

I like the way you merged the parchment-like picture with the one your wife took.

14. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Sheila Hollinghead, I meant to say earlier that I like your "Daily Inspirations" cover very much. Nice use of a Photo background, all text still very readable. The screen background for the text is nicely done!

15. Sheila Hollinghead

Sheila Hollinghead New Member

Thanks, Mary. I agree with Rebecca. Contrary to that old saying, people do judge books by their covers. It's good to get feedback before settling on a cover--as many of us have done.

Samantha Fury likes this.
  16. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

I am so glad I joined this forum! When I got the notice that ChristianWriters was splitting I was very discouraged. I had just begun to get involved there after a long time with non-Christian writers' forums. I had no even checked this out. But I am encouraged by those I have met here, Thank you!

17. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

http://[​IMG]

Here is my first three covers the back had an identical picture of the background with blurb of course. I do all my own work, and get my pictures from the big three. I stock-bigstock-dreamstine.

18. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Samantha how much do the stock photos cost? And have you ever had someone say, "Floating heads" to this type of design? (I personally like it, but when I did my last cover design, I had some like that and that was what some of the professional designers said.) I like the photos, the human faces for the reader to connect to.

19. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Never heard the called floating heads.. LOL!! I guess that is what they are, but I love the look. I like a face to catch the attention and I do have some romance so I like what it brings.

Book 1 Charlie's Angel... Angel, he cost me a pretty penny but he's been worh it. It was 10 bucks for his picture. I ended up having to buy a lesser picture of his too for about 2 bucks and merged the two in order to get that hazy look behind him. The background picture cost about 6 dollars. The girl Charlie cost 4 dollars. I know Angel came from I stock the other two not so sure I think dreamstine.

Book 2. Tidal Wave Fran the girl, was cheap all three pitcures was under 15. 00 dollars

Book 3 Reasonable Service I got all of those for under ten, because I learned more about the sizes I needed and bought smaller pictures. Book two was a test on resoultion. If you want some time I can look up the picture sizes and let you know what they are.

Thanks I kind of set myself in a lock box for this series with this style, but people know the books just from the branding of how I did the covers.

Samantha

MaryCFindley likes this.
  20. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I did these covers using Microsoft's Digital Image Suite. Not that I swear by the software, but it was cheap (bought it at a work auction for $10).

[​IMG][​IMG]

And then this one for the next book in the series:

[​IMG]

The next two covers come from "stand alone" thrillers I've written:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Finally, this is the cover for the fantasy-psychothriller mash up I'm currently working on:

[​IMG]