Book Covers 1. . . So You Need A Book Cover

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Samantha Fury, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Lesson 1
    This will be the first in several threads in order to try and help the new Indies learn the first steps and decisions that need to be made to get their first cover to their first book. First things are will you be doing paper back or e book, or both?

I suggest that you go with a paperback from Create space, even if you only get one copy. There is no better way to find mistakes in your novel than to hold a book in your hand. There is just something about it that makes the mistakes jump right out at you.

It's hard to really know where to start so I'll just pick somewhere.

You need to decide if you're going to make the cover yourself, of hire a professional cover artist, or you may even want to try to go with a pre-made cover. You would be shocked, or at least I was at how cheap you can get a really awesome looking pre-made cover. Anywhere from 35.00 and up.

I know that most everyone wants to make their own cover, but please consider a few things. One it's going to take a lot of your writing time, to search for the images, and the software, and learn the in's and outs of what photo's you can use and what ones you can't. Are the model releases in place, how many times can you use the image. There is really a lot to learn. Do you want to spend the time learning all of this or just pay someone to do it for you.

Also, if you are not an artist at heart, will your cover be good enough to stand up against all the professionally made covers. I don't mean to sound harsh at all, but an author spends months and sometimes years on their novel, but then will just toss up a cover, that does not always express the hard work and love that they've put into the novel.

Your novel deserves the best cover possible, and I know we don't always have the funds to get the best cover, but a lot of Artists take payments, and will work with you on setting up a payment plan. Trust me a good cover in the end will pay for itself.

There are so many good covers out there and great artist, if our Cover is not the very best, it won't matter what is under the cover, because people will skim right over your book to a book with a well done cover. People expect, that if you don't bother to spend a lot of work, time and yes money on a cover that you didn't also bother with a good edit, and therefore the cover is a reflection of what is inside the book.

Next we will move onto Making a book cover with Create Space.

Please feel free to post links, or your own comments in this thread about the topic at hand. If you need to move on to the next lessons and topics please check out the links below.

Book Cover 2 Making A Cover With Create Space Cover Creator

Book Cover 3 Software For Making Book Covers

Book Cover 4 Making An E Book Cover

Book Cover 5 Buying A Book Cover

2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member