Business License

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by HeatherHart, Jan 22, 2012.

1. HeatherHart

HeatherHart New Member

Someone recently told me that you have to have a business license to self publish a book. Is this true? I could possibly see the need for one if you are forming your own publishing company, but I didn't think that was actually necessary to publish your own book. Can anyone help me out?

2. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

Not in Montana, anyway. My wife began her own business last year (DaMoryDiapers.com). Not only does our city and county not require a business license but the secretary of state for Montana said that we only needed one if we planned on getting a tax id number for it and have it listed in the state directory of businesses. For her business, she did and paid the state $25 or so but it wasn't required. I don't have to have one to publish books. Now, taxes on any royalties are another issue altogether.

3. thebiblestop

thebiblestop New Member

I don't think it is required in most states, unless you start a publishing company. Your social security number serves as your tax id number if you are just self-publishing a book.

4. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

No, you don't need one - even for multiple projects. Pay attention to your royalties, however. You may have to pay self-employment tax on it. Might want to talk to a tax professional for that info.

5. HeatherHart

HeatherHart New Member

That's what I thought, I just wanted to double check. Thanks everyone!

6. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Yes on the tax issues, how does that go. Not meaning to Hi-jack your thread.
    Any thoughts guys and girls.

7. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I just filed this morning, and because I made less than $400 last year, I did not need to file SE. I filed my income under "other income" because it would come under a 1099-MISC

8. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

We are self employed so I figured I could do something like that. Just add it in with something. I just write down all the numbers and give it
    to the tax guys. I just know sometimes you need a number or something and didn't want to be doing something wrong. We live in Kentucky anyone know of any dumb rules, I know my state and I"m sure they have one. :)