Can You Do This?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Chautona, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Chautona

Chautona New Member

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/how-to-write-a-manuscript-5-excellent-tips?et_mid=544876&rid=25151497

Can you do this? Write the last sentence of your chapter before you write it? I can't imagine. Even with a well-planned and DETAILED outline, I could not do it. So I'm curious. Is this something anyone here does, and if so, how?

2. silumenye

silumenye New Member

Usually, I'm a consecutive - dare I say it, linear - writer myself. I start at the front of the chapter and work to the end. But occasionally, I know exactly where my chapter is going to end. I already have the sentence written in my mind, if not on paper. On one occasion recently, I actually started writing a scene in the middle, and then worked backwards from there. But the only reason I did that was because I was stuck anyway and needed to shake the little gray cells up a bit.

3. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Ok, yes... I have had on a rare occasion, such a distinct end planned for a chapter that I could have (and probably mentally did) write the last line of the chapter.

I just can't imagine writing every chapter that way, so I'm fascinated by those who can.

4. Heidi

Heidi New Member

That is an interesting idea. Just like when I write a song, I tend to have a scene in my head that will become a chapter and I just have to figure out how to translate the picture into words, so I guess I know how it will end, generally at least. Maybe I should try this.

5. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I don't even outline - I write chronological and from my head - no notes etc. Although this month my blog topic is on Structure and Plotting using various 'methods' from simple 3 Act to Snowflake.

6. Chautona

Chautona New Member

See, that's how I do it. I can't imagine knowing what the last like of a paragraph is. Maybe the last line of a book or series, sure. I'm working on a ten book series right now that I do know the last line/scene. But of a chapter? I was amazed at the idea. Don't get me wrong, I can see SOMETIMES, but as a goal for every one? Impressive.

Of course, when I went to fill out an outline questionaire, I discovered that my brain does know where things are going, even if I don't realize it.

7. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I have an overall idea of how the story goes and it will end, but the fun is discovering what twists and turns happen while writing.

MaryCFindley likes this.
  8. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Never in a million years. I usually start in the middle, have to work backward, and chapter divisions change a lot.

9. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

In the middle? That's unique. :)

10. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

In Media Res (in the middle of things), the classic tradition. Seriously, I start writing, and I don't like a lot of description, but somewhere along the way I realize I haven't given enough background for the readers to understand, or a minor character becomes a major one, and I have to go back and add stuff at the beginning. :)

11. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I'm so linear I can't image writing any way but chronological from beginning to end. What frustrates me, is my mind is racing facing then my fingers can type!

12. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Yep. There is that problem.

13. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

What problem? That I'm linear or my mind racing fast than my typing fingers? :p

14. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

The finger versus brain race, of course. Linear is fine. It implies organization, which I could use more of. :)

15. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

i'm all over the map...i write chronological, sometimes i write a scene and then book around that scene...i don't think i could do the first and last thing, though

MaryCFindley likes this.
  16. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

I recently started in the middle, wrote about 10k, and it worked wonders. I think once you have the bones of a story made, then you can create a concrete plot and storyline.

17. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Just write it! Put it together later! :)