Death Spiral By James Boedeker

Discussion in 'Plugs, Promotion, & Success Stories' started by ramshorn1962, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ramshorn1962

ramshorn1962 New Member

Hello all, I am a new member and a new author. I have 1 book published and another due to be released very soon. I have also cowritten 2 other books. I am very new and very inexperienced with marketing my work. I can use all the help I can get and all help is gratefully appreciated.
    My web site.

http://www.counterpunchbooks.com/

The title of my book is Death Spiral. It is a 3 book series about a former Navy SEAL living in Thailand. He is very broken until he finds a purpose. That purpose comes by way of woman who has been abused by very bad people. Robert O'Leary makes it his mission to use the skills he learned as a Navy SEAL to deliver justice. Once again any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I hear ya! I really do. I have found Laura Pepper Wu's website 30 Day Books immensely encouraging and helpful. I purchase her eBook titled 77 Ways to Find New Readers helpful as well. I'm following her advice but I haven't had enough time to pass by to see if it will pay off. One thing she recommends is hiring a promotions business to help you promote your book. I did that but my book blog tour won't be until January. I hope it will generate some new readers. You can always do a book blog tour by yourself but I'm not personally comfortable with begging bloggers to help promote my book. I also took out an ad with Digital Book Review which will be out in January. I also got 250 free business cards from Vista Print. I'm not sure how I'll use them to promote my book yet, but they were free! I also made my own book trailer by following the advice and links I found here on Indie Authors. I might join Independent Author's Network too. I'm mulling that over in my head right now. You have to pay a one time fee of 24.95 to join that. They do have a separate webpage that promotes the new titles of the authors on their site.

ramshorn1962 likes this.
  3. ramshorn1962

ramshorn1962 New Member

Thanks for the advice and I intend to give it a try. To date I have done a radio interview which really bumped my sales, then I had a newspaper interview which also helped. You know when I started out I had a single goal. Write a story begining to end. A fellow writer helped me to get it published. My next goal was to have someone read it, who didn't know me and like it. Those golas are achieved. It has been an amazing ride and I can't wait for book II to be released.
    Thank you for the sound advice.

sherrijots likes this.
  4. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

Those sound like great goals! It's also a great feeling when a stranger reads your book and likes it. It still feels strange to me when someone I don't know wants a signed copy of my book. :D

ramshorn1962 likes this.
  5. ramshorn1962

ramshorn1962 New Member

I know what you mean. I have people walk up to me at work carrying a copy of my book and ask I will sign it.

sherrijots likes this.
  6. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

I've been at this since 2010. You can never join enough groups or learn enough, but that said don't spread yourself to thin. I know people like to run out and go nuts with that first book, but might I suggest a three book plan. Don't do anything until you have those three books ready to release.

Once you get book one out there, you can release it but don't go out and push just let it start selling on it's own. Then when book two and three and maybe even four is ready then you can start push that first book. I think too many authors get out there with book one and fans and readers say not another one book wonder.

They want to see that we are really working hard before we try to become a star. I know this approach is not popular but I think it more realistic. Also, if you follow this plan with at least two books, when readers start reading your work, and hopefully begging for more, you'll wish you had followed this plan and have a second book to release within 6 months of book one.

Feel free to roam around this site we've created and ask questions. There is never a dumb question, and you can never learn too much.

Samantha Fury
    Author of the Street Justice Series.

7. ramshorn1962

ramshorn1962 New Member

My second book was released Nov 28th and it sold fast for 2 weeks. LOL the sales have slowed to a crawl. This is a wonderful rollercoaster ride. So far I have only received good reviews. I hope it continues. It has been a busy year of writing for me. I have written a total of 5 books and co-written 2 others with my mentor and friend Walter Knight. Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice.