Distribution Print Novel - Addition To Amazon

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by George Eugene Belcher, Aug 8, 2012.

1. George Eugene Belcher

Not satisfied with Createspace/Amazon limits of distribution. Barnes and Noble is not in their distribution package, and Amazon wants to use their ISBN number for Library catalogs. Any suggestions for economical novel print/distribution that includes all major wholesale and distribution possibilities.

2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Honestly, I've not heard of anyone that's better than Create space, but there could be. To be really honest, I get more sales at Amazon that I do anywhere, and I'm pretty sure that Smash distributes to Barnes and noble. I can check if you want me to.

Samantha

Feenix likes this.
  3. George Eugene Belcher

Thank you Samantha. My e-book is on all the sites. You are correct, Smashwords distributes e-books in all formats.

There is no argument that Amazon is essential in the marketing mix. Amazon is selling both e-book and print copies of my title and that experience is good. However, I have my paperback printed by another POD printer for promotional purposes and the quality is superior to Creatspace. Also, B&N and libraries are excluded form Amazon distribution. B&N will not do business with Amazon. Amazon will distribute to libraries, for a fee, but only with their (Amazon's) ISBN number, something I prefer to avoid.

There are other POD distributors that will provide the additional service I seek, but their fees and unit print costs are high.

4. Samantha Fury

It never hurts to find someone better, it's just going to be hard to beat the prices at Create Space. I have noticed that their books last well, unless you take them out into the sun. Don't do that. I learned the hard way left one of mine out in the sun and it
    started to curl pretty bad.

A side note, most libraries welcome Indie Authors. I'm in both our local libraries in paperback form and they actually paid me for the two copies. .

Feenix likes this.
  5. George Eugene Belcher

Two very good points, Samantha, I will keep copies of my book in the shade, especially here in south Florida.

I have not approached my local library yet, but will.

6. Samantha Fury

Hey be forewarned if your Librarian is anything like mine she'll be wanting you to have a book singing too. :)
    I'm waiting for book three until I do that.

Sam

7. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

A book singing? And I thought libraries were supposed to be quiet! :p

Seriously, while I rely on Createspace for print, I've a friend who used Lulu to great success. It might serve you to go with more than one printer if it means superior distribution. You'd have to have multiple ISBN's of course, but that might not be a big problem.

Samantha Fury likes this.
  8. Samantha Fury

I guess they'll break that rule that day. I'm many things but quiet is not one. LOL

Samantha

9. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

You know when my epic novel is done in all parts, I am seriously considering using something like WestBow for print and distribution. Not sold on it yet, but I have seen their books in local stores. So they at least do what they claim.

JH

10. Michael J Scott

Hmm... have you checked them out on Predators and Editors? I seem to recall some negative feedback with their process. There was another one I heard of recently that sounded pretty decent. I'll look into it and see if I can recall who it was.

11. Michael J Scott

I just found the info over at Christianwriters on a thread you started (either that, or there's more than one Jesterhawk running around here.). It was for a company called Snowfall Press, and they distribute to CBD via Send The Light (STL). Zanzibar (aka Lynnette Bonner) was looking into them. She might have more info. Then again, you might have already looked into it. :huh:

Samantha Fury likes this.
  12. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I am and I guess I did. I don't recall seeing Snowfall.

That said, I checked them out. Their website does not say anything about distribution. Just cost to you and speed they do it. I must be missing something.

Also, Preditors and Editors is probably an awesome site but it really needs a search. I went to the book publishers under "W" for West Bow and found nothing there. That doesn't mean it is not there just that I can not find it.

JH

13. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I do know that West Bow Press is a division of Thomas Nelson publishing and I have seen their books in Mardels and Lifeway. At least I have seen their logo on a book or two there.

JH

14. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

But I am for any and all advise and help I can get as I work on completing my epic tale. :)

JH