Dogs

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by jedi79, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

My family is thinking of getting a new dog. We want a large dog that is not very active, and great with kids. We are thinking of a Mastiff or a Great Dane. I also like Doberman Pinchers, but I know they are active. I had two Doberman Pinchers and I think they are great dog, just a little to active then what we are looking for. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with ether a Mastiff or a Great Dane, or maybe you can recommend a large breed of dog that is not very active and is good with kids?

2. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

My vote would be Great Dane, though as I understand it, the puppies can be pretty hyper.

A buddy of mine had a big dog, I can't remember it was a Mastiff or a Pyrenees, it was really gentle natured but mischievous. It figured out it could drag my buddy's wife around when she had it on a leash and it got loose in the house one day and just went running around like a bull in a china shop. My buddy ended up jumping on the dog's back and it dragged him around the house then downstairs. Huge dog but he always said he'd never have another one, they were crazy.

3. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Have you considered a lurcher - greyhound/collie cross or deerhound? Hounds are amazing dog types, with loving personalities, easy to train and totally loyal to their owners. We keep whippets but have had greyhounds and lurchers in the past.

Good luck! Keep us posted as to what you find!

Hannah

4. debra dawn

debra dawn New Member

4 million pets are euthanized every year because there are not enough homes for them to go to.....why not try a rescue site that offers 'foster parenting' first. They will tell you the dogs personality with kids, cats, other dogs, etc.

The breeds that you are looking for could be Boxer, rated top 10 with kids, although active. Bermise Mountain Dogs, Bloodhounds, mastiffs, or bull mastiffs....any large dog you get, go to rescue sites first....or also you might want to go to the Westminster Dog show and see which breeds appeal to you first, then google about those breeds personalities.