Easy Or Hard?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jedi79, Sep 12, 2012.

1. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

What was the easiest or hardest book that you have written? Why was it easy or hard for you?

2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Wow. I think I haven't written the hardest one yet. LOL! Easiest I think it would be a sci fi that I wrote. I think God was trying to tell me that I would write what ever genre He told me too. I wrote over 10k in the first day. It flew out of me like water and it was crazy for sure. It's not edited yet but I finished it in about two months.

Sam

3. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Easiest book I ever wrote was Spilled Milk. Start to finish in seven weeks. Hardest was The Coppersmith. Took me two years to git 'er dun. Probably because it was my first. Took tons of editing afterward to render it readable, and it still has flaws! Despite that, it's also my best seller. Go figure.

4. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

Hi, I thought I'd jump in here with my thoughts. My hardest book is the one I recently published - The Vrykolakas Deviation. I wrote it in first person which took me out of my comfort zone. I did a lot of re-writes. Just when I was ready to publish I had another indie author offer to read it for flow, character development, etc. Instead, she critiqued it. Pages and pages of critique. :D At first I was grateful. Then I was depressed and thought about throwing the entire manuscript out. I read through the critiques again. Some were helpful, but others were simply personal preferences on her part. I guess too some of it came down to different genres. She writes contemporary urban fantasy. While my latest book has a bit of urban fantasy, it also goes back into ancient mythology. If my readers are familiar with the Greek myth of Narcissus or are familiar with Celtic mythology, I think they will connect well with my book. I think she was not familiar with the context of what I was writing. For instance, she thought my vrykolakes were one dimensional and that I needed to show that they could love someone other than themselves. But my whole point in the book was that the vrykolakes are one dimensional, they are self-absorbed narcissists, who love nothing but themselves - hence, the myth of Narcissus. Ugh! I did have other beta readers who understood the message of my book. Maybe my book appeals to a small niche market, but it appeals to someone at least. I guess time will tell! ;) That's why this has been my hardest to write book yet.

5. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

You know what is funny is that my current story "Quest for the Golden Book" is both the easiest and hardest. It was the easiest when I wrote the first rough draft. Wrote 160,000 words in just about 12 weeks. I was cooking and it was flowing. That was 2003.

Beginning end of last year, I had begun a major rewrite working on making sure that everything was just right for the story. I also broke it down into the seven days that the journey takes place and have begun ePubing each day. Well, once I got the first one back from the editor and all the back and forth on how to make it correctly written, it suddenly became the hardest thing I am writing. And now as I sit and wait (well work on Day Three) for Day Two to come back from the editor I am wondering just what edits there will be.

JH

Samantha Fury likes this.