Entering Warily

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by PiperJones, Jan 11, 2012.

1. PiperJones

PiperJones New Member

Hello, everyone. After all the advice about how bad it is for your writing career to self-publish, print work on demand, etc., etc., I am rather cautious about joining, but if Christian Writers endorses this site, it's gotta be okay. I'll be standing on the sidelines, watching and listening for a while, but I just wanted to say 'Hi'.

2. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

Hi...it certainly is a different trip that having an agent and all (not that I've had that) but it's fun!

3. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Hello and welcome PiperJones!

4. PiperJones

PiperJones New Member

I'm amazed at how many people have joined since I did this morning! It looks like being a lively, interesting site. Thanks for the welcome, jedi79.

5. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Hi PiperJones, welcome! Like you, I was very cautious about indie publishing. I grew up hearing the "horror" stories of writers who wouldn't patiently wait for some agent or editor to take notice and give them the green light, but would instead rush out and spend thousands of dollars doing vanity publishing.

Those days are long gone. Self-pubbing is easy, free, and very successful these days for a lot of authors. Some have even become best sellers doing it (though this remains the exception - then again, it's the exception for most authors). Indie publishing has lost a lot of the stigma that was once attached to it, and I think within a few years it will be the norm. Traditional publishers may even begin waiting to see how well a book does after being independently released before offering a contract to new writers. Less risk on their end that way.

It's an exciting time to be an author, that's for sure!

6. Wordsculptor

Wordsculptor New Member

This site being from the 'same stable' as CW, it's hardly surprising that the early birds worming their way here may seem a little familiar.

7. BloggerBob

BloggerBob New Member

Welcome from the NW corner of the USA.
    I also came from the CW Forum.

8. PiperJones

PiperJones New Member

[sub]Hi, Michael, Blogger Bob and WordSculpter, and Barbara. Wow what a lot of people have joined since Thursday. Have any of you explored the rest of the site yet? I want to finish my current WIP and submit it via the traditional print route before I venture into e-publishing. At the moment I have a fabulous mentor, Paula B of The Writing Show, and I can recommend her if you want guidance on any kind of writing. After that, I intend to put up some sections of two stories for critique here. What are your plans?[/sub]

9. Tim

Tim New Member

Good to meet you, Piper!