Free Ebook For An Honest Review

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Adambo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Adambo

Adambo New Member

I am trying to bring some attention to my book, The Slayer and the Sphinx. It is a YA fantasy novel, only about 130 pages long. It tells the story of Porter Collins, a young Slayer, and Sarah Heisen, a sixteen year old sphinx. When Porter is sent to slay Sarah, there is an accident that leaves him without his memory. Lost in the wilderness, Porter must now rely on Sarah for guidance, and she must rely on him for protection.
    I'm willing to give away five electronic copies of this book to anyone who promises an honest review. If you want to see it, here is a link:
    https://www.smashwor...oks/view/169970

2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Hey! Have you tried groups on Facebook. I would join and wait about a week do some networking with the folks before asking if anyone wanted a free read. Also, I would never ask for a review. It's better to just hope for a review, once the person has read the book, or had time to read it, then approach them with a, hey if you liked the book would you mind reviewing. I never ask for the review up front.

This group had the most members of the Fantasy groups that I could find. I have no clue if they are a Christian group or not. https://www.facebook.com/groups/20454423979/

3. Adambo

Adambo New Member

Thanks for the advice Samantha, but I don't really feel comfortable giving away my book and only hoping they'll review it.

4. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Is this your first book, or second, because I was assuming this was book one. If so here is why I said what I said.

I understand your point, I hated giving away my hard work for free. It's no fun to spend all that time working and pouring out our heart just to go around saying, hey would you like a free copy of my book, but let me explain why I said what I said. I think we as Indies are better off when we treat our first book as a freebie.

It's our way of getting known and getting out there. It will only hurt us in the long run if we're not willing go give away as many copies of it as possible. When that first book comes out, we are unknown, people have no clue if we can write or not. It is perfectly normal and sometimes even necessary to forget about profits on that first book.

I also am not a big believer in reviews. I'm a believer in readers, and most readers don't leave a review. Every time you get that first book in the hands of a reader, you are adding to what could be a fan base. Hey, I could talk all day about this stuff. I've been doing it for almost three years now and I've learned so much, and I want others to learn from my mistakes and my success.

Good luck,
    Samantha