Goodreads Authors?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by hippiechyck, Apr 17, 2012.

1. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

Is anyone else a Goodreads author? I have a book giveaway going right now there. :)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5330085.D_H_Barbara

I'm still a bit intimidated by Book Town :rolleyes:

2. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

I am. The people there are really friendly, something very hard to find today, both readers and writers get along very well. In fact a lot of my ebook sales resulted from my book being on Goodreads.

3. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

I just checked my book giveaway...36 people requested it :blink: :lol:

Thanks for the add, Jonathon!

4. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

I'm on Good reads too Add me. Samantha Fury.

5. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

gotcha, Samantha!

6. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I'm on Goodreads... sort of. They keep screwing up my books! :angry:

7. Samantha Fury

Thanks I'll try to add you soon.

8. Michael J Scott

Y'know, all this time, and I never knew Goodreads sold e-books. I feel like such an idiot!

I just spent a little time there, and my Lost Scrolls novel has garnered a wishlist, with 95 people having it on their "to read" list, and 637 people requesting it in the "Author Giveaway" (only five copies were available!).

9. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

gotcha, Michael!

10. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

I joined a few days ago. Seems like a good fit.

11. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

i had almost 600 entries for the book give away! Seasons is up there to read online (not download)

maybe i'll look into selling ebooks through them, too when my KDP is up

12. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I'm on Goodreads. I did a few giveaways with anywhere from 500 to 900 participatants for each, but little resutls in reviews or sales as a result. I'm also on a number of forums/groups. My activity varies depending upon my schedule.

There's been a debate on Goodreads doing e-book giveaways and it has to do with DRMs, so anything I've done has been with print copies, not e-books. Michael, there was a big shake-up when Goodreads and Amazon parted ways on gaining information so each author was responsible for 'recusing' their books. It got real complicated and fortunately, I had readers help in getting all my books back on Goodreads.

13. Michael J Scott

Yeah, I think I finally figured out how to make use of the librarians. I've got my books back listed correctly, and all the reviews are back up for the one that was messed up. Now I just want to figure out how to maximize this resource. Not quite sure how to do it, though.

14. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Michael, glad to hear you got the books back. :)

Just use Goodreads as another resource to connect. I link my blog to Goodreads, which updates each time I do a new post. I've tried to use the "event" listing on GR, but I haven't found it effective. Mostly I just interact. For me, all these outlets are building my reputation and credibility - not so much to sell my books. Just like with actors, if I don't like the actor I won't see the movie - regardless if they are a multi-winner of an Oscar. That's perhaps the biggest lesson I've learn since being published - be approachable, likeable and knowledgeable - avoid controversy but do stand for something. It's a fine line.

15. Y I Lee

Y I Lee New Member

I'm on Goodreads. It's a great site! :)

16. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

As an update - I have taken down my Goodreads profile. Whereas, it might help with the give-aways, after a 2 1/2 years of participation and linking my blog, I wasn't see much benefit in sales for the effort. And ever since Goodreads split from Amazon to obtain information, the effectiveness has declined. It was a headache having to 'recuse' my books, link them to my website and reload the information, etc..

I made some good contacts of Goodreads, but the longer I'm an author, the more benefit I see from "live" events and positive interaction with readers, as opposed to the shift of social media from connections to bashing and nastiness! I'm established and easily found online by my name or books, thus I'm limiting myself to those sites and online activities most effective and less noisy.

17. Y I Lee

Y I Lee New Member

I'm on Goodreads and liking it. Although I can't say I've benifited that much sales wise.
    I agree with you ShawnLamb, I too am doing very well with my own personal sales and interacting with people.
    If my online sales matched my personal sales, my books would be best sellers. :D Oh well, you can't win em all.

ShawnLamb likes this.
  18. Samantha Fury

Shawn when did Goodreads split from amazon?

Samantha