Goodreads Ditching Amazon As Data Source - What This Means To You

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by wgjones3, Jan 23, 2012.

1. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

If you're enrolled in KDP select or if your book's information is listed through Amazon as a source, you've got a week as of today to "rescue" it's Goodreads listing. Several have reported that you can set up a blog entry for your book to save your book's Goodreads page. I have no idea what the process is because the site won't let me click the rescue link or even see a list of books that need rescuing, but your mileage may vary.

http://www.goodreads...s-a-data-source

2. Gloria

Gloria New Member

Thanks for this info! What do you think happens if I do nothing? I already have my book info stored elsewhere. My print books should remain as they are on GR, right? They don't let me use the "rescue" link either.
    G

3. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

I honestly don't know if this means Amazon-only books will be de-listed from the site. There are Goodreads members who have librarian status who can help, but I keep seeing people say you can rescue your book yourself. For the life of me, I don't know how. The majority of my reviews were on the Smashwords edition and a Goodreads librarian in the Indie Exchange Facebook group moved that review over from the Amazon edition to the Smashwords edition so I wouldn't lose it.

As a side note, I think Goodreads is one of the worst organized sites I've ever seen in my life. I find it extremely frustrating and I just don't use the site very much at all because of it.

4. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I'm not overly concerned about my books on GR or 'rescuing' them since I didn't jump on the Select bandwagon, all my books are available in multiple places online and I own all the ISBNs. It's GRs choice, I'm going to let them figure it out. This might also affect authors who use Createspace - owned by Amazon - and chose to use a Createspace ISBN, meaning Createspace/Amazon is the publisher of the print version and that will reflect in the mining of ISBNs by GR.

However, I suspect this maybe a backlash against Amazon's recent practices. In Decemeber, Amazon's cutthroat retail practices with Amazon App Day joined with Select's exclusivity clause forcing authors to take down their work from competitive online sites, caught the attention of the DOJ. In their overreaching attempt to monopolize the market, Amazon is angering many, many, many people.

5. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

I saw an update on Goodreads that they will likely preserve Amazon books they can determine to be in the Select program. Didn't have any trouble rescuing my books but they are on Smashwords as well. Sorry you all had problems. I found an author who had just gone with Select and had no idea her book might be deleted. I wonder if Goodreads will really do it?