Greetings From South Africa

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by Lendr, May 11, 2012.

1. Lendr

Lendr New Member

Hey everyone,

Just registered today and thought it good manners to say "hi" first before diving into the forums. I'm a 35-year-old husband and father of three and live in South Africa. About 10 years or so ago I started writing a novel and got rejected by all publishing houses in South Africa as well as many in Australia, the UK and America. That didn't deter me though and while I was waiting for my next rejection slip to come in, I wrote two other novels as well. I eventually got promoted to a management position at the company I was working for at the time and because I worked 54 hours a day, the writing kinda came to a grinding halt.

I recently started working as a bottom feeder at a new company, which allowed me some time to get back into writing again. When I heard about the Kindle and how indie authors finally had a platform to launch their books from, I jumped at the chance and uploaded a short story as well as my first novel, The Son of Perdition. My other two novels should be up soon.

I trust that I'll enjoy this site and the people here and look forward to getting to know ya'll :)

Have a fab weekend!

Len

2. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Hello! Welcome. I've never "met" anyone from South Africa before. A friend of mine just adopted from DRC (got home Friday) but that's probably so different it isn't comparable.

Can't wait to hear of your success with your books.

3. Lendr

Lendr New Member

Hehe! No, you can't really compare the two. I've never been to the DRC myself, but I think it's all villiages and jungle there. Could be wrong, but South Africa is pretty modern with mostly all the bells n' whistles of a standard State in the US.

Well, I'm off to hunt for dinner. We're having Wildebeest tonight.

LOL! Just kidding, of course ;) We're treating the kids to McDonalds...

4. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Ok, I officially like you. Wildebeast. Snort.

I remember someone telling me once, "South Africa is like... not really even Africa. It's too modern." I remember thinking, "So how do you explain Applachia or Inuit villages and NYC in North America?"

A missionary friend in the DRC goes to South Africa for her surgeries. That's all I know about the country. That and the people I've heard speak from there have cool British-sounding accents. ;)

I am woefully undereducated. Might have to do some studying. After all, me being from California might give you the ridiculous idea that this means I surf before breakfast and wave at movie stars on my way to the grocery store. Yeah... I'm pretty sure you're too smart for that.

5. Lendr

Lendr New Member

LOL! You're not too far off with the whole California thing. I guess "reality" shows and the movies kinda do create a false illusion of the place. Same with South Africa... we really do have a fab country here, but the powers that be would much rather be associated with the rest of Africa for some or other silly reason, so all our ads kinda tries to "blend" us with Africa. Why would one willingly WANT to regress?

Oh well... I guess that's life ;)

Please send my regards to John Travolta on your way to the grocery store :D

6. Chautona

Chautona New Member

My dad looks just like Johnny Carson, will that do?

7. Lendr

Lendr New Member

LOL! A Johnny Carson look-alike will do just fine, thanks :lol:

8. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Will do... wave at the jungle chief on the corner for me. ;)

9. Lendr

Lendr New Member

Bwhahahaa!!! I did, and he had his pet lion chase me down the road. I had to climb into a nearby tree in order to get away, but it just sat there licking its lips, so I had to sleep in the tree. This morning, however, Brad and Angelina arrived and adopted 3 kids that were playing soccer nearby, so all's well that ends well :D

Seriously though... Jungle Chief says "Hiya!" ;)

10. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Hello, and welcome Len to AndieAuthors! Nice to meet You!