Hate In The Amazon Forums

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jonathoncharlap, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

Wow. Never in my life have I met a cluster of snooty, arrogant, hateful, and evil people in one place before. Anyone else been over there?

2. silumenye

silumenye New Member

I've had a peek at some of the topics, and I tend to agree with you. I was reading the other day that there are some Amazon readers who want self published books to be categorized apart from traditionally published books - to weed out the crap, as they put it.

Samantha Fury likes this.
  3. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

The users eve went as far to sift through my Facebook, even my family's FB! Thats just crazy. Here is one the things they said about me.

"This is me being curious, Jonathon. Are you the currently unemployed Jonathon LaMella from Florida who took writing at his community college and now fancies himself a novelist? Or is that a completely different Jonathon LaMella?"

4. silumenye

silumenye New Member

Some people really have a nerve....

5. thebiblestop

thebiblestop New Member

Some people are just nasty. They probably got hold of a couple of bad self-published books, and so are ticked off and assume that most are poorly written. That is no reason to be nasty to someone, though. I enabled the "look inside" on my book on Amazon, and a significant sample on my ebook format. That way they can read part of it and decide whether my style is acceptable to their reading taste. (Several have told me the grammar and spelling are in good shape).

PaulineCreeden likes this.
  6. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I have found that some people pride themselves on being snooty. I have a cousin who openly admits that she is snooty and prefers the company of snooty people. Personally, I think this is an expression of extreme insecurity manifesting itself in an attempt to make her feel better about herself by devaluing whatever doesn't measure up to her standards.

Early on, when I was writing my first novel I joined a writer's message board hoping for encouragement and honest critique. Instead, I found out they were a bunch of snooty people. When I submitted a poem for critique they shredded it; I could almost hear the sneers in their written comments letting me know I am not a poet.

Jonathon, the mean-spirited comment that person directed at you seems like a personal attack to me. I've had lots of those before, they are always anonymous which lets me know that they know me personally and don't have the guts to say what they think about me face to face. The meanest comments I get are always from personal acquaintances, strangers tend to be more civil even when they are being snooty.

7. PaulineCreeden

PaulineCreeden New Member

Amazon Forums? which is that? Are you talking kindleboards or somewhere else?

thebiblestop - though I am not a grammar spelling queen- I found no errors in your book that made me stop the flow of reading...

Additionally - I am a Top Reviewer for Amazon, and I mostly review self-pub books simply because I believe they need the support. (most are Christian, but not all)

Here's what I have found:
    10% are perfect - every bit as good as a trad pub'd book (IMHO Thebiblestop's book is in this category)

40% are well done - few minor errors, readable, decent cover, but not great

and 50% should be thrown in the trash can or at least edited bout 5 more times. Formatting errors, spelling mistakes, grammar errors (again I'm not a queen, so if I notice grammar mistakes it's obvious). Additionally the authors seemed to have published their first or second draft which is ludicrous. Or they just plain didn't hire a professional editor. (and I am not above giving a 1 or 2 star review)

These are the people who give self-pub a bad name.

As far as critiques go - there may be some who will rip you apart just because they think they are better than you, but I think most are honestly trying to be helpful for the most part. Personally I appreciate the ones who are willing to pick my work apart more than ones who give me a pat on the back and a "good job."

8. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I can't stand the Amazon forums! I was on there for a while, but couldn't stand the meanness. Then Amazon swooped in a threatened to take my 1st book down - why? They claimed I was promoting my self. Well, yes, on forums where it said to introduce myself and my books. It seems to be a 'sin' on the forums for authors to answer direct questions concerning their books! Outrageous.

But I do know a place that is WORSE - Library Thing! On that site, I endured repeated personal attacks by so-called readers and LT police for just using my REAL NAME!!! Yes, to them using my real name is considered SPAM, meaning I'm only there to promote and not engage in conversation. Three times I reported the abuse, but nothing was done, so I requested to be taken off the site. I strongly advise all authors to steer clear of Library Thing.

9. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I find it's best to stay on sites where I know it's safe to self-promote. Kindleboards.com and Mobileread.com are my mainstays. They're pretty cool as long as you mind the self-posting guidelines and behave. Nookboards.com/forum is another safe place, if'n you can find your books on B&N.

On Amazon, they've kicked all the authors into a particular section where they allow self-promotion. I don't know whether or not it generates any sales to promote there. I haven't given it a whole lot of attention since they did that. I used to promote fairly actively, whenever I could find a relevant thread where I thought readers might be looking for a book. Sadly, those days are gone.

10. DRTharp

DRTharp New Member

I think that with all of the availability to preview the books should be enough for a person to decide if they want to risk it or not. They can also look at the publisher in the information to see if it was self published or not. I think its more of a situation that they aren't evaluating their purchases and taking it out on the forums.