Hello From A Fantasy Writer

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by jmaxon, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jmaxon

jmaxon New Member

Hi everyone, I'm glad to have found this website. As an author in the making, it's nice to have a place where we can share experiences, find helpful information, and shake hands with others walking down a similar path. Making a name for oneself is difficult to say the least, especially with so many great authors to compete with.

So, who am I? In my earlier years of life, I grew up with a learning disability and struggled in school. English was one of my most difficult topics. There came a point in my life where I got sick of feeling dumb, so I worked my tail off to prove that I wasn't. My high school allowed me shed the SpecialEd classes and attend regular ones. As a result, my grades went from Ds to As, and the harder I worked, the more I obtained a love for writing.

Back when I was thirteen, I can remember trying my hand at a story about wizards (I loved fantasy, and still do). Years later, I revisited that story and have since released it as a 155k word novel. To my great surprise, the story has sold fairly well and I have received a high amount of praise for it. It's a humbling experience to say the lest. To go from a boy who couldn't read a sentence without stumbling to one who has written numerous sentences, greeted positively no less. Years spent studying the craft of writing and storytelling was a difficult road, but a worthwhile one. Now I have two published books and a third on the way. I hope to get to know everyone here as we continue to refine our techniques, and even more so ourselves.

2. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Hello and welcome James! It is great to have you here! Nice to meet you!

3. jmaxon

jmaxon New Member

Thanks Jedi! Is that Norris with a lightsaber? LOL.

4. Tiffany

Tiffany New Member

First of all it's very nice to meet you!

This is going to sound very strange I am sure, but I have been wanting to write to you for a long time. I work as a teacher aide for a 14 year old who has severe muscular dystrophy.

When I first started working with him he was obsessed with vampires and werewolves and many fantasy elements, but was enjoying stories that were very dark with no redeeming qualities. Then I found your Traphis book. I had only read a few pages before I knew Shayden needed to read this book with me.

So we started reading, and he didn't want to stop. It was a real turning point in his trusting me.

Anyhoo, I thought that since you were right here, I'd finally seize the moment and thank you for your writing!

Tiffany

5. ledwardsii

ledwardsii New Member

Hay All

Currently I'm a member of the CW. It's good to be a part of the group. I enjoy writing. I'm currently working on three novels as time allows. With work sometimes it's hard to fit the time in. I'm just starting to explore the site and like what I see so far. I look forward to coming here often and being with you. Well not much more to say. Go figure...a writer without words. LOL. Looking for a good time here.

Louis

6. silumenye

silumenye New Member

'Nother fantasy writer here. Welcome to our corner of the galaxy. :)

7. dogbone61

dogbone61 New Member

8. jmaxon

jmaxon New Member

Wow, thanks Tiffany! Feedback like this is the very reason I write. Having struggled as a kid myself, my strongest desire is to reach others facing difficulties with messages of hope and encouragement. The language of fantasy can reach those who otherwise would shut themselves off from the rest of the world. Books like Narnia helped me to translate faith from a fictitious world and apply it to the real one. There is a great power in fiction. It thrills me to hear you say that my book made a difference. It made my day!

If you have a moment, would you mind writing a summary of what you said on Amazon's site? It might help encourage others to share it with their children :) Here's the direct link: http://www.amazon.co...asin=B0057H0NCG and if you have a B&N account, you can leave one here: http://my.barnesandn...n=2940012882875 .

Thanks so much!