Hi, I'M Kent, But Because I Didn'T Know Any Better When My 1St Book Went To Press, I'M Also "K.G. Po

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by shipdude, Jan 12, 2012.

1. shipdude

shipdude New Member

When my first book was published, I clearly had no clue about the mechanics of "name-recognition" and all that “branding” kind of stuff that I wish I didn't need to know about even now, but which I’m told is a necessary evil. Consequently, I unwittingly published under the version of my name that used to sound most "author-ly" to me way back in high school creative writing class in the mid 1970s. Thus, my first published book—a non-fiction about worldviews in church history—was by this dude named "K.G. Powderly Jr." Ok, we have the same last name and initials, and I am a “junior,” I grant you, but there the similarities end.

I discovered during radio interviews plugging my books just how silly it felt to be called "K.G." by the man sitting across from the microphone. As awkward as that became, worse still was that I could hardly expect friends in the ministry who had known me for years as "Kent" to introduce some strange author-speaker named "K.G. Powderly Jr." who sounded like he was British or something. This complicated connecting the dots for prospective new readers at home school conventions and churches where I spoke whenever circumstances permitted—something I didn’t think of that perhaps I should have, just out of consideration. (I'm not British, just from New England originally. I think the best theory on why this happened is that the first novel I ever read was H.G. Wells’ “The War of the Worlds” in 3[sup]rd[/sup] grade, and I must have thought something like, “Gee, if I ever write a book when I grow up, I’ll be just like Mr. Wells and use my initials ‘cause that’s just wicked.” I don’t recall thinking that, but how much do any of us remember from 3[sup]rd[/sup] grade? It just got buried in there somehow and stuck. I’m in my 50s now and part of me is still waiting to grow up. The other part has a grown daughter, with his first grand-daughter just a month off, has nursed his wife through long illnesses, and buried her body after the Lord took her home, and has mostly recovered himself from health problems such as grown-ups are known to have.)

Since my last book, “The Tides of Nemesis” in 2005, the long illness and passing of my wife, and my own neurological condition (and now its recovery) intervened, all-but-annihilating my ability to properly promote the 4 “Windows of Heaven” novels by anything beyond occasional local speaking and word-of-mouth. The stories are set in the pre-Deluge world and began to be published in their original form 3 years before River Oak released Douglas Hirt’s Cradleland Chronicles. Though both series are set in the same period, they are quite different. “The Windows of Heaven” is a bit grittier and darker in tone—perhaps an artifact of my writing so much of it at a time when I knew my wife was dying and that I might linger long after her in a debilitated state. While I knew that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," there was such a thing as not wanting to play any more. Not that it is a story without redemptive hope—far from it! Redemptive hope as seen through world-destroying terrors that left the human race in a traumatized amnesia is what it is all about!

By God’s grace, my own condition has much improved, giving me a new life in a personal world that is vastly changed from the one my wife and I knew, both in better times and in the worst. Now, I’m emerging like Merlin from a long dark cave in 2012, just in time for the world’s end (if the Mayans were right) with better written, much better cover art, more professional new versions of the series with new chapters, all in preparation for a sequel 5[sup]th[/sup] book, Gate of the Gods, sometime in 2013 (assuming the Mayans were wrong). Regardless of the Mayans, I would welcome the return of Jesus at any time—but that’s a more important subject for another day, and not to be confused with a lack of enthusiasm for the business at hand. Quite the opposite.

Introductions are hard for me because I almost never make a good first impression.

I guess the good thing about being an almost unknown author—except for a few hundred loyal readers—is that I get to try a do-over and finish the project as originally envisioned, only better. Better yet, maybe I can get this monkey off my back and move on to something else.

Broken neck man (223x320).jpg

2. Wordsculptor

Wordsculptor New Member

Well, you're far better at 'introductions' than me Kent. Hello, and welcome to indieauthors.

3. ledwardsii

ledwardsii New Member

Kent welcome aboard. Look forward to hearing more from you. Good to get out of the cave and smell the roses. Look up! Our redemption draweth nigh.

Louis

shipdude likes this.
  4. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Hello and welcome Kent! It is great to meet you!

5. shipdude

shipdude New Member

Thank you all for your kind words. BTW, do any of you know what "picture will not set" means on the download photo part of my profile. I've tried several shots and can't get anything to upload, except by inserting directly into the text. They are perfectly normal photos that I've uploaded on many sites before, so I don't know why this site should be any different.