1. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

How long, on average, does it take you to write a book from start to finish?

2. CM Keller

CM Keller New Member

First draft--about nine months, more or less.
    Finished novel, including editing and proofing--1 1/2 years. But I'm really trying to cut that time by six months for the sequel I'm working on. Don't know if I can do it though because I don't want to sacrifice quality.

3. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

i really have no idea...a few months, i guess?

NaNo novels are 30 days :D

from the time i wrote my first draft of Seasons to publication was 3 years...the second book is almost done being edited so that was, ummm...less than 2 years i think

4. Marinemom2

Marinemom2 New Member

The one I'm finishing now took me about 2 to 2 1/2 years on and off. Now that I have decided to take my writing seriously, hopefully it won't take as long when I write the sequel.

5. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I wrote my first novel in two years. My last one took seven weeks (started as a NaNo). I started my current WIP in April, and I should be done before the end of the month (assuming I stop lurking around forums and actually practice a little BIC). My goal this year is to finish the ten novels I've started over the last five years but never finished. I'm cranking out about 10K words per week to get this done.

By far, the hardest novel to finish was the first one. After that, the glass ceiling seemed permanently broken. On the other hand, there are those ten unfinished novels out there... but what the heck? I've written five already in the last five years.

6. thebiblestop

thebiblestop New Member

Worked on mine, off and on, for 15 years. :eek: Did a complete rewrite about a year ago to pare it down. Finally published a couple months ago.

7. laurindaw

laurindaw New Member

About nine months for the first draft. Another two or three months for editing and proofreading.

8. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

Um, that's a tough one. I've written a rough-draft novel in as little as 28 days, but then I've spent years on other first drafts.