How To Make A Book Trailer

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Samantha Fury, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

How to make a book trailer.
    First you will need to chose what software to make your trailer with, I like windows movie maker and I bought wondershare. But in all things don't go out and buy lots of expensive software just to make a trailer. I paid 80 dollars for my software but I make a lot of home videos so it's useful in many ways.

Try to stay within your book budget. Don't go above your means ever, when there is a free product that will work just as well. I'm sure there are many things I'm leaving out but this will get you started.

Watch other trailers and get ideas.
    Try to keep your book trailer under 2 minutes.
    Using part of your book blurb start your narrative.
    Once you start looking at other trailers you can see what style suits you best. Some like black images to write their narrative on, others like to just place the writing on the images they have chosen.

2. Choosing your images

I normally use free images for book trailers. Check our Stock Images threads for ideas to get your images. Of course using your own images is a great idea if they suit the moment. It's always good and sometimes necessary to give the author credit so always keep good records of where you find the pictures and who took them. Keeping good files is a must in all aspects of getting a book on the road to success.

3. Music and pacing.

Be ware of copy write issues with any music you chose. Watch other trailers to learn pacing. See how many words the author places on the image. Does the image match what the author is saying. Does the music match your storyline, does it flow with the images. It's good to narrate your book trailer with audio. In this day and age it's not that hard to do.

4. Content.

Don't get all wrapped up in your trailer turning it into a mini movie. People are rushed for time and though we all love our creations you need to make sure it's quick and to the point. Edit your trailer several times to be sure ever thing is spelled correctly and that you have given credit to everyone and mentioned your website or blog.

5. Be sure and have others watch your trailer, it's so easy to miss something important. Also don't use too many images. I'll be posting some links below that will also help you on your journey to getting your first trailer up and going.

6. U tube is the best place to place your trailers, they have easy links, but beware a lot of music has a copy write and it won't allow you to use certain songs.

7. As in all Indie projects don't bombard your facebook family and friends with links to your work. Pace your postings, with special events. No one likes to feel as they are being spammed. [​IMG]

Good Luck

sherrijots likes this.
  2. Samantha Fury

3. Samantha Fury

4. srussell

srussell New Member

Thanks Samantha! That's very useful information.

Samantha Fury likes this.
  5. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

Very helpful indeed! I just made my first book trailer! It's uploading as I type. Thanks for the links! I was able to find completely free images from the morguefile.com and royalty free music from Incompetech, all he asks for is a 5 dollar donation and a link to his site. I'm pretty happy about it! :D

6. Samantha Fury

Hey glad you found them useful. We hope to be starting several threads over the coming months like this. We'd love to be the hub for everything Indie!

sherrijots likes this.