I'Ve Made A Tough But Logical Decision

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jonathoncharlap, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

We all know how tough it is in the trade of writing books. It seems that for the past two years I've been working toward being a published novelist. Taking classes, reading books on writing, sending out queries, researching, honing the craft, making a blog and twitter, act, all while also building my career as an article writer with a magazine I've been working with.
    However, this has come at a price. Everyone is different, but I am not one of those people who can crank out novels like I'm a story telling machine. Honestly, its costumed to much of my life.

Today I've decided to take a long break from novel writing and pursue a more practical career in something like magazine writing. I am already a contributing writer for a publication dedicated to the arts and have published 20 pieces with them so far. The editor there has known me for a year now and always takes my articles. I'm getting ready to apply for a job there. There are some factors that led me to this decision.

1) I'm only 23 years, but I'm stuck in the chair so much, I haven't been able to fulfill my health and exercise goals for 2012.

2) There's so many new opportunity out there as far as technical writing goes, that I can't allow novel writing to keep me from exploring them.

3) The book industry is enduring a huge change right now. Publishers are hesitant more than ever to take a chance on new writers, including mid size small indie publishers. And self-publishing, unless you have sales, can be very expensive and cost lots of money, which I don't have.

4) The thought of leaving this field and just writing fiction for fun makes me feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. :) I feel so happy. I'll still be on here :) all the time. I know many of you from the Christian Writers Forum. You all are so supportive and friendly, and are a pleasure to talk to.

Anyways, love you all! Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.