Kdp Promotion, One Month Later

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Michael J Scott, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Okay, it's been a solid month (and a few days) since my big SEPTEMBER KDP Promotion. I've got the numbers in for October, and I can compare the months previous, the month of the promo, and the month after. Let's start in July, to give us sufficient lead time. This is before any promotion:

Month Books Revenue July 15 $13.43 August 74 $184.35 September 685 $1,062.59 October 17 $44.78

The KDP promotion started in early August, promoting a title with a narrower audience (political suspense vs. general suspense). Additionally, the reading season likely played a role as well, though how large is difficult to say. What can be observed is that my sales prior to the promotion and my sales subsequent to the promotion are roughly the same. The increase in revenue is due to setting the books at a higher price point ($4.99 as opposed to $2.99 or $.99. Given that the price increase came with no significant drop in sales, this means I was simply charging too little before. Good to keep in mind).

The conclusion I draw from this is simple: if you want KDP to generate sufficient monthly revenue, then it'd be beneficial to promote at least one book per month, if not two books two weeks apart.

With enough books to sell, it is conceivable that KDP could potentially generate a snowball effect, promoting, say, upwards of eight to ten books over a four to five month period, with two books per month (one every two weeks). If they were all in the same genre or series, this might even create a lasting impact as word-of-mouth spreads, or the sales draw the attention of the media.

Of course, this means you must have eight to ten similar books to sell.

What do you guys think? Are my conclusions reasonable?

sherrijots likes this.
  2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Hey It sounds good to me. I'm just not in a place yet to try it out but I plan on it. I have seen myself that raising the price doe drop sales, could by the genre Mystery Christian romance.

Am I reading your numbers right. Did you have a huge drop off in Oct too. My sales all but have disappeared the last three months. One month was due to a mix up. Amazon had removed my book blurb some how. But it's back up now. I am thinking about lowering my price back to .99 cents because sales are so in the dump.

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see what others say.

3. Michael J Scott

Yeah, my October sales dropped precipitously. I still can't say whether it's because I couldn't get any promotions started (not enough reviews on my remaining two books), or if it's just a cyclical/seasonal thing. I know September's a good month for sales, so it sorta stands to reason that October might drop off a bit. Should pick up again between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I would think. And then January for all those new Kindle owners.

Samantha Fury likes this.
  4. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Right I'm trying to get at least one book out there maybe two before Jan. :)

5. Michael J Scott

Yeah, I can't help but think that quantity is a significant factor in writing success. We need as many streams as possible drawing readers toward us. A reader who likes one book is more likely to buy another, and to tell his friends. And the more books we have available, the more potential readers we can gain. A rising tide lifts all boats. That sort of thing.

davidbergsland and Samantha Fury like this.