Kdp, Two Weeks Later

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Michael J Scott, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

It's been a little more than two weeks since my first BIG PROMO on KDP Select. I'm about to start another one next Wednesday. Good thing, too, because my sales have dropped off precipitously. In fact, it'd be safe to say that my sales rank and numbers are right back where I started before doing any of this.

So what does all this mean?

a) I've still given away a lot of books. More than 6K, in fact. Some of those people haven't read the book yet (or are still reading it), and that may translate into more sales down the road.

B) A lot of people only read free. I have to consider this as advertising to pick up the few among the masses who'll actually pay for a book. My units "borrowed" is rather negligible (8 books total), though I will get a buck or two for each one.

c) I suspect, to pull this off, you have to have several books available to market. I don't recommend waiting as long as we have to do a second pass. If I'd have had sufficient reviews in by this past week, I'd be into my second pass already. As it is, we had to delay a week. Two weeks is probably sufficient. If you have several books available, schedule a pass every two weeks. Even better if you don't make them sequential books (if they're in a series). In other words, don't offer series book 1, 2 weeks later series book 2, then series book 3, etc. You'll just train your readers into waiting for the next freebie.

d) Bottom line: I've still sold more books this month, and made more money, than I would have without doing the KDP thing. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will my writing career.

I'll keep you guys posted as I learn more.

Feenix and Samantha Fury like this.
  2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Thanks for keeping us updated. I think it helps but like you said it's just a part of the big puzzle that we have to work on to get
    noticed.

Sam

Feenix likes this.
  3. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Keep working it! Sounds like you are doing fine. Just keep tweaking and perfecting what you are doing. Anything worth while takes time, and it will pay off for you.

Feenix and Samantha Fury like this.
  4. Feenix

Feenix New Member

The only way I've sold ebooks on Amazon is by setting up Select promos and giving away thousands first.

The second book in the trilogy that I'm hammering away on is now live and I've scheduled a Select promo Labor Day weekend.

5. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

Man, listening to you guys makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. I did several KDP promotions and gave away hundreds not thousands. You guys do it and give away thousands. What is the secret? I mean because whether the story is good or not they don't know until they read it. So I am wondering what is attracting better for you?

Any help is appreciated.

JH

6. Samantha Fury

There is several pages that you can promote it on. we need to gather a lot of them and then have a sticky somewhere. :)

Feenix likes this.
  7. Feenix

Feenix New Member

The only times when I've given away thousands is when Ereader News Today (ENT) has picked up my book. I've asked Pixel of Ink but they've never picked me up.

8. Michael J Scott

I've been using a publicist to help get the word out. I suspect having multiple books to sell helps also.

9. Michael J Scott

I've got a list I found somewhere. I've posted it as a new thread here.

10. Samantha Fury

Wow Michael that's a great list, thank so much for taking the time to share. That is one of the things that is so amazing about the Indie Author, they are always willing to help out other Indies. Awesome.

Again Thanks
    Samantha

Y I Lee likes this.
  11. Michael J Scott

12. Michael J Scott

Okay, mods. Now how do we make it sticky?

13. Samantha Fury

I'm new at this let me see.

14. Samantha Fury

Okay it's pinned.. :)

Feenix likes this.
  15. Michael J Scott

Thanks, Samantha!

16. Michael J Scott

I'm off. My second KDP promotion started early this morning. I'll see soon how it turns out, and keep you all posted in the meantime (as I can, of course).

17. Michael J Scott

Ok. I am one day and seven hours into my second promotion. So far I've had 1601 downloads and no sales. I did, however, add a handful of subscribers to my newsletter (and since they're the first, I actually must start producing one. Yikes!). Of course, this does mean I'm a little off the pace of the first Jefferson's Road book.

So the questions are these (and there's probably no way to answer):
    • Is Jefferson's Road selling better because it's simply a better book? (I suspect not, because how can people know the quality of either book if they haven't read it yet? But it may be a better concept. It certainly stands above the fray more.)
    • Is JR selling better because it has more reviews?
    • Is JR selling better because I was able to promote it in more places (finding forums where politically frustrated people hang out is easy. Finding forums where psycho killers hang out is less so. And somewhat less desirable, frankly. (No, I know I'm supposed to be looking for readers of psychothrillers. But seriously, where do I find them?)
    • Is JR selling better because we started promoting JR at the beginning of the month, and The Coppersmith toward the end?
    • Is JR selling better because we started promoting JR on a Monday, and The Coppersmith on a Wednesday?
    I think those last two are particularly interesting, but there's no way to know unless someone else out there has had a similar experience, perhaps one in which we can rule out other variables. The "where to promote" question is compelling as well, though.

18. Samantha Fury

I don't have a lot of stock in reviews, my book with ONE review has always out sold my book with 10 reviews. So I don't fuss or worry about reviews. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I think there are so many things that can cause a book to do better or worse, even in just plain old sales that we will never know all of the factors.

Sam

Feenix likes this.
  19. Michael J Scott

True that, Sam.

It's now 3:30 in the afternoon. We've been at this for 37.5 hours. 1814 books downloaded. I don't appear to be getting anywhere close to the #1 spot in anything, either. I got close at #8 in Suspense, but since that time, I've dropped back to #9.

20. Michael J Scott

A little after 8:30 this evening. 42.5 hours in. I've now reached roughly half of my previous success, with 3232 books downloaded. Still at #9, though.

I need to clear a thousand more between now and 2 am to make 2/3 of the way to my previous result. Think I'm probably gonna come up a little short, unless something miraculous happens twixt now and then.