Kdp: Who Do You List As The Publisher?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jonathoncharlap, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

When you publish with KDP, there's an option to list a publisher. What have you done? I was considering creating a publisher name, maybe?? What do you think?

2. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

I know that we talked about this privately, but I'll answer so that others can see. I created my own company (FIRST Wild Card Press) and registered the business locally as a sole proprietorship with the county at the county registrar. I created the logo as well.

3. dogbone61

dogbone61 New Member

4. RebeccaPMinor

RebeccaPMinor New Member

Were I to self-publish with KDP, I think I would create a sole proprietorship and likely also bring my own ISBNs, if that's still an option.

5. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

You don't need ISBN's for Kindle. :D You may have them, but they cannot be the same as your hard copy. A separate ISBN must be purchased for the electronic book.

6. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

I meant, MAY be purchased. But it is not required.

7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What is KDP?

8. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

Kindle...Kindle Direct Prime, I believe, not sure. We started the discussion about Kindle's Prime and whether or not it is worth doing.

9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Is Kindle Direct Prime like the Nook Pubit, where you can download your ebook for free and they sell it for you? Can you tell me where to find the discussion on it. Thanks for your time.

Shirley

10. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

11. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I created my own imprint called "Allon Books". My husband even made a logo to place on the website, book spine, back cover, etc. I now have 2 divisions - YA fantasy and Christian historical fiction. For me, it sound more professional to have a company name and logo. In fact, literary agents have approach me about reviewing clients' manuscripts after viewing all we've done. :) I'm not ready to take on anyone else and impose upon my husband who does a wonderful job with the creative and business end of being self-published.

12. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

We also have our own logo and press. :)

13. HeatherHart

HeatherHart New Member

If you published through a POD printer you would list them as the publisher as you published through them.

14. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Createspace hasn't told me I have to change and declare them as the publisher, and I've done 5 books through them. They are just the printer for my books. We do all the editing, cover design, typesetting, etc.. We don't pay for any of their publishing services. If one does use Createspace's services, then they maybe an argument for that.

15. HeatherHart

HeatherHart New Member

They probably don't patrol. I was curious when putting together a media package and e-mailed to ask about it and that's what I was told.

16. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Interesting. I know other indie authors who use POD and standard printers and aren't made to claim them as the 'publisher'. I think it's when the actual services of publishing are involved that there can be a claim. I can take all my indie books and go anywhere without strings attached to Createspace, so other than printing, they have no claim on my books.

17. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Heather, I discovered the publisher is tied to the ISBN number. If an individual uses Createspace ISBN then Createspace is the publisher since they own the number. I owe my ISBN numbers,which are assigned to Allon Books since I had to fill out a profile. I paid $250 for 10 ISBNs, and I believe the price has gone down since early 2010 when I purchased them.

HeatherHart likes this.
  18. HeatherHart

HeatherHart New Member

Awesome information, Shawn! Thanks so much for letting us know. My books are published through a ministry, and they do use CreateSpace ISBN's. That would explain the differences. Good information for when I publish my other book independent from them.

19. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

20. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Concerning the discussion on KDP above, the initials stand for Kindle Direct Publishing. Amazon Prime is different -- a membership for customers which they pay a fee for but get lending privileges, free shipping and discounts on purchases. The KDP Select program is where authors can make their books exclusive with Amazon and get them into the Prime program. You have to remove your books from any other site or sales avenue, and keep them in the select program for 90 days. In return they are advertised and made available especially to Prime members both for lending and for discounted prices. You can choose to list your books free for five days within that 90 day period. There's more, but those are the basics.

Gloria likes this.