Nano Comments & Cheering Section.

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Samantha Fury, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Nano will be here before you know it. Be sure and get your place in line at the Official Word Count Thread. Here. Please no chatting in the word count thread. :) Thanks.

2. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

It's Begun! Cha-a-arge! :lol:

Samantha Fury and sherrijots like this.
  3. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

Okay, here we go!

4. Samantha Fury

I started last night, but have not written a word this morning.

5. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I just finished my first installment. Whew! 29 more days to go! :D

Samantha Fury likes this.
  6. Michael J Scott

Got my first in. Plan to crank out some more later today (I always find it helpful to get as far ahead as quickly as possible).

sherrijots likes this.
  7. Samantha Fury

Man it's slow on here. I guess everyone is doing Nano.. I have been busy but I'm up to 32k. I'm also loving the story I think it's going okay so far.

Sam

sherrijots likes this.
  8. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I'm still doing NaNo but I'm no where near your 32k! :D I'm staying up with it but my subject matter is proving to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I need some fresh ideas. I need my creative and imaginative sons to give me some ideas. They are recovering for the stomach flu however and I don't want to overtax them. In the meantime, I'll keep muddling along.

9. Samantha Fury

How is everyone doing. I just posted my numbers. I hit 50 and I'm working on something else for a few days then I hope to get back to Nano. Most everyone at the face book group has hit 50 also. Having word wars has helped. If you're having trouble grabbing those word counts. Fine a partner and do you some word wars. That really pushed me over. Also having that one really hard day of 11k.

Keep up the hard work, Nano will really teach you how to write out on that limb.

10. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I think I'm down for the count. I fizzled out around 11,000 words. I would have to really get on a writing spree to get caught up now.

11. Samantha Fury

Sorry to hear that Nano is not for everyone. Some thrive on it and some just don't enjoy the fast pace. Having a group and word wars help but most of those take place on face book. :) Talk soon

12. Michael J Scott

Hey, that's still 11K words in two weeks! That's pretty good, actually. Even if you just kept pace with that alone, you'd be at better than 22K by the end of the month. That's about a third of a book, at least.

My first time at NaNo I only got 30K words done. Then I got seriously stuck, and the novel didn't get anywhere for another three months. After that, it was a full year before I picked it up again and pressed forward to completion. Once the edits were in and the book was where I thought it should be, I sent it to my editor, Rochelle. She said, and I quote:
    Wouldn't have happened if it weren't for trying and failing at NaNo the first time out. :D

As it stands right now, I've got 20,577 words done. I'm wa-ay behind the count. I need almost 8K words today to catch up. But I don't care! I'm getting my books finished, which for me, is what this is all about. So pat yourself on the back. You've gotten farther than you would've before, and that's significant. :rolleyes:

sherrijots likes this.
  13. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I haven't given up on the story altogether. :D I think I need time to think about where I want to go with the it. It has taken the back burner for a while though. I made a promise to my readers that I will have my second book out by August of next year. As fast as time flies, it'll be August before I know it. I want to keep that promise and so I've made editing that manuscript my top priority. Plus I have a promotional blog tour that I'm doing in January for the first book in my Narcissus Legacy series. I've been cranking out guest posts and interviews at a furious pace! :huh: I think trying to do NaNo on top of that was more than I could handle for the month of November. Maybe next year! :unsure:

14. Samantha Fury

I think a lot of people don't finish Nano the first time, but it does teach you to write and write yourself out on some limbs to get that word count. It can really teach some good lessons, so try again. Having a group and getting in some good word war days really can help.

Mike you can do it. Hey I punched out over 11k in one 24 hour period you can get it done. You just have to keep that rear in that chair. LOL!!

Talk soon Nano Nano

15. Michael J Scott

Out of curiosity, Sam, how on earth did you punch out 11K in a single day? That's like, Amanda Hocking pace (an entire novel in a single week).

16. Samantha Fury

I start at midnight normally and just go at it, I write until about 2 am, or less, and then start the next morning, I write as much as I can. I plan for these days sometimes and others they just hit me. I had a couple of word war with some friends, but mostly I write against last years numbers. It's getting harder every every year to bust last years count.

It's not that hard if you have the day to yourself. Staying off the phone is my worst issue. I also write some standing up in the kitchen on the lap top and use the drop box to move the story back and forth from the kitchen to the living room. Every year during nano I have one day where I really hit it hard.

You should try it, there is nothing like beating your own record.

Sam

17. Michael J Scott

It's that getting a day or two to myself that would be difficult, I suspect. Married with three teenagers, a full time job, and a weekend ministry put the kabosh on many of my writing plans.

18. Samantha Fury

I work on line, but I run a lot of sites, have a hubby, run a trucking company, (one truck) and have three dogs. It's not easy, but now and then I push everything off or get caught up.. LOL! We'll okay I push things off. And then get in some writing but it's not easy for sure.

19. Michael J Scott

Okay guys! NaNo is done!

Who made it and how far? I know Sam kicked butt real early and hit her goal by mid-month or better.

I just squeaked over the line on the last day, coming in at 50,320. Anyone else arrive on time?

20. Samantha Fury

I love Nano, and we are still having word wars at least a couple of times a week. I hope everyone is doing good and I hear those coupons are coming soon. :)