Need Tips On Formatting 5.5" X 8.5 Interior Paperback

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jonathoncharlap, Mar 3, 2012.

1. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

I need advice on formatting the interior of a 5.5" x 8.5 paperback template with Microsoft Word.I really need feedback asap!

2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Sorry i do the 6 x 9. I could give you my word settings for that but not sure it would help.

3. Traci B

Traci B New Member

I have a couple of ideas you might want to try:

1. Use your page setup (or Page Layout, depending on what version of Word you're using) to change the orientation to Landscape and set the margins to whatever works best for your purposes, then use the Columns option to split a letter sized page into two columns.
    2. In Page Setup/Layout, create a custom paper size and set the measurements to 5.5 x 8.5, then use that as your template.

The first option is better for printing unless you actually have 5.5 x 8.5 paper, but if you're formatting it that way for an ebook, the second option might be better.

4. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

You need to factor in the .25 gutter that comes between the pages.

Just set your page to 5.5 x 8.5. Set your margins to whatever makes you happy. I recommend .5 inch all way around.

Under Multiple Pages (Margins tab) choose mirror margins. Then set your Gutter to .25 (under Inside Margin).

That should do it. When you export to pdf, it'll arrange your pages correctly.

5. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

I just realized though I didn't describe my question right in the thread. I already have a template with my mss, the book is already published, but I never really got it in the "novel" format with the every new paragraph indented or with a margin. You know what I'm talking about right? lol. I basically just copy and pasted the mss in the template.