Needing Clarity On Multiple Writing Projects

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by mjph, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mjph

mjph Member

Hi Everyone,

I need advice from you experienced authors out there. I am pondering my next project and have settled on two possible projects that I am probably going to do at some point. One book is for parents of college students and another book will be focused on giving advice to high school freshmen with an eye to eventual college acceptance. My question really isn't which to do, but rather have any of you ever done two books at the same time? What are the possible advantages or disadvantages of that approach?

A second issue is that I'm hung over from the first book. I'm not worried about the writing, but the revision and editing process was exhausting to the point where I'm hesitant in jumping full force into a new book. I've done some prewriting but there is this cloud of editing that has stolen all the fun.

Thanks for your help.

2. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

It's always discouraging when you spent so much time writing the book, and then have to go back over and over and slog through the revising and editing, Mike, but don't let that stop you. We have 12 titles, 2 illustrated, and I do all the writing, revising, editing, cover design, illustration creation, EVERYTHING! I'm so tired of looking at those books! But I get feedback, make corrections, do cover redesigns, etc., so my "finished books" folder should say "Never going to be finished!" Still, the Lord has called us to caring for these older ones and creating these newer ones. Stay by the stuff, and get your message out. I have about 4 books I'm working on at the moment, plus marketing. :)

3. mjph

mjph Member

Mary, this is gold. Thank you for the encouragement. So it seems you like the multiple irons on the fire approach. Has it ever slowed your progress doing it this way?

4. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Right now the new writing is not happening at all. But the Lord has His times. :) Promotion is where He is leading right now. We are not trying to become bestsellers, just have people hear His voice through us. I am learning blogging, tweeting, networking, all of which have new languages and skills to be learned.

5. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

I have ideas for 3 books...no, make that 4. LOL. I'm working on the FAIRIES: Oh, Pixie Dust! (book 2 of the Realm Series), but I have written about 1/4 of a stand alone urban contemporary fantasy as well. I actually look forward to rewriting and editing now. I think I'm more afraid of jumping back into the first draft of Oh, Pixie Dust. I keep rereading where I left off, hoping that I won't forget what I was doing when I started rewrites on the first book. :unsure:

6. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

I don't know if I mentioned that my husband is an over-the-road tractor trailer driver, and I ride with him. So all this happens in our "studio" on my lap in the passenger seat! But this is where the Lord has put us. Just posted a blog about being a trucker's wife. I am surprised at how much I like this life, and the things we have been able to accomplish. The Lord is good!

7. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

While my third book is the one I am focusing on, I have two other books started. When I get stuck for awhile on the one I am mainly working on (A Heart Hungry to Worship) I work on one of the others (Consequences and Dominoes). Since they are all so different it isn't too hard to pick up where I left off. Having a good outline and synopsis of what I want to do with each chapter helps a lot. For me, it is mentally helpful in keeping frustration levels down. Instead of feeling like I didn't accomplish anything I know I can work on one of the other projects. Since the only timeline is my own, it works. I also farm out different chapters to different friends with editing and grammar skills for critique and feedback. Not only does it help my writing but starts generating interest before the books is even finished.

8. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

I really wish I could discipline myself to outline for my books. Seems as though it would make it easier. When my husband and I co-wrote our non-fiction book together it was so difficult to organize things. The Lord intervened and I think it turned out very well-organized. I haven't really tried working on this many projects at the same time before, but, as you say, Doctor Herndon, they are all different and stay separate in my head. At some point I will get them all out. :) The idea of generating interest among your editorial help is an interesting one. Hadn't really considered that possibility, since I go around begging for readers and reviewers.

9. Marinemom2

Marinemom2 New Member

The title to this forum caught my eye this evening and I am so glad that the Lord put it in front of me. I was just thinking today after a nice visit with my mom that I would like to write her memoirs. At the same time though I am finishing my first fiction (in the editing process now) and will begin a sequel to it. All of your posts have encouraged me so thank you. My mom has an amazing story to tell and wouldn't it be nice if her great grandchildren could here it.

10. dogbone61

dogbone61 New Member

This topic is what I am dealing with right now. Last year I published two books and a short story. This year 2012 I have published 2 short stories and next month with publish the thrid short story in the series, also I plan on finishing 2 full length novels. For me it is now or never. I have so many stories and ideas in my head that I have to write.

I outline every book. Plot out each scene. I take my notebook to work and write on breaks and lunch and even when I am not suppose. I never have writer's block, cause I can jump from project to project. I edit on my days off when I don't have to worry about work.

I am posting my progress on my word count on my blog http://sharonleejohnson.blogspot.com

My only problem is that I need to write and I also need to be on line to blog and check e-mail and that takes time from my writing.

Hope that helps.

11. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

Marinemom2, I had to force myself to write non-fiction when my husband wanted to get out our book Antidisestablishmentarianism. It required so much more discipline for me. But I love the book. I think it would be great for you to write your mother's story. Have seen a number of memoirs of mothers elsewhere. Dogbone61, how is that working out, publishing short stories? What do you charge for them? Do you have a readership? (Don't mean to be insulting in any way. It's something I haven't heard much about.)

12. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

Since this isn't a critique request, I'll move it to the discussion forum. Your topic will get more traffic there. :)