Official Nano Thread Coming Oct 15Th

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Samantha Fury, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

We here at Indie Authors hope to soon start the Official Nano Word Count Thread.

I'm going to be promoting the thread when we have it available and I hope that all of you that are going to do Nano will join us in sharing your daily word count.

For now lets do some Nano Chatting.

How many of you are going to join to jump in on Nano.

We will post in this thread when the Nano Word Count Thread is open for business.

This will be my fifth year of doing Nano and I just can't wait to get started.

Samantha

2. Traci B

Traci B New Member

This will be my third year of November NaNoing, and my hope is to produce the third installment in a fantasy trilogy I started in NaNo 2010. I have yet to edit the first two books, since I've been occupied with the Atherton series, but my plan is to get the third Elathe book drafted in November, and then edit and release all three books in late 2013, after I've typed "30" on the Atherton series. Of course, that means I need to write, edit and release the rest of the Atherton books...

Samantha Fury likes this.
  3. Samantha Fury

Congrats! Traci.

We also promise not to take up to much of your writing time once Nano starts. :)

I also use Nano to work on my Street Justice Series. Every book that I've written has came from doing Nano. I love the pressure, and the camaraderie that comes from joining this huge Nano Party.

:)

4. Traci B

Traci B New Member

I do too, Sam. I know NaNo has its detractors, especially among "professional" writers who paid their dues, etc., etc., but I like the whole premise of getting a draft done in a month. The community atmosphere is encouraging, and the idea that we're not trying to write something sellable (or even readable), but just something we can work with, is inspiring to me.

If I'm still without a day job in November, I'll have a ton of time to write between job hunting sessions. I mean, how much job hunting can one do in a day, right? You check the paper and the sites, send out responses to ads, and see if you get a nibble. May as well spend the rest of the time working on novels. And if the thing my friend was chasing turns out to be real and not a scam, I'll be on his payroll by then and will be working from home anyway, so that means more writing time. Either way, it's a win-win.

5. Samantha Fury

You know most of the time I don't have to do a lot of editing on my past Nano's, so I agree with everything but the non sell-able part. I know it will need an edit when I get done, but so far in the past it's only needed the normal punctuation edits and of course spelling.. LOL! I can't spell for sure. Most of what I write thank God and I mean that, is useable. Thankfully I've never had to pull a Ninja out of my sleeve. That could change this year.

I will say that I do like writing Nano Style, you'll write yourself out on limbs and push yourself a lot harder than you will any other time of the year. I just wish I could push myself to edit like that. LOL!

mott342 likes this.
  6. Traci B

Traci B New Member

Ninja - lol! I actually ended my first book with ninjas, just to meet my word count. But I liked the scene so much I may leave them in it. It was a bit like the end of The Incredibles, where they're going about their normal lives when a random villain appears and they all mask up.

7. Samantha Fury

LOL! Those that are new to Nano might not get the Ninja thing. Who knows I may have one this time. :) Hey if it fits leave it in there.. :)

8. Traci B

Traci B New Member

Absolutely. I think I'll put an Author's Note at the beginning of all three books stating that they were written during NaNoWriMo, and therefore include a few references that are inside jokes in the NaNo community - things like the ninjas, references to sporks, and certain names that are anagrams of "titanium spork" or "NaNoWriMo." Some of my character names are anagrams, and I think I have at least one spork reference in each of the two books, so it might bear some explanation.

9. mott342

mott342 New Member

This is my first year giving this a go. I have 2 novels and a collection of short fiction done and floating around Amazon. My third novel has been toying with me and I with it, and I am looking forward to NaNo really helping me jump-start it! :D

10. Samantha Fury

Great to hear from you Mott. I just love nano. This is year 5 for me and I really need to start an outline soon. Do you outline or shoot from the hip? I have two novels out there and many wanting me to write them. :)

11. Traci B

Traci B New Member

Welcome to the group and the NaNo Funny Farm, Mott. :)

I'm itching to get started too. I think I'll use the time between now and then to mine data from my previous two NaNovels and gather it all into Scrivener so I'll have my reference lists set up. That way I won't have to skim back through the books when I need to know something about a character, setting, etc.

I'm a pantser when it comes to writing. I generally know the beginning and the end, but I don't outline everything that's going to happen. It keeps my creativity flowing better if I don't have everything planned out. It's like a road trip - I know where I'm going, and I may have a few key "must see/do" things along the way, but I want to be open to new ideas that pop into my head.

12. mott342

mott342 New Member

Hi Samantha (Sam?)...thanks for the welcome! I am very much a pantser, shoot-from-the-hip writer. Sometimes I know more about the story than others, but outlines give me hives. For me writing is really only fun when I'm finding out what happens next right along with the characters.

13. mott342

mott342 New Member

And thanks to you too, Traci! Not sure which thread I'm responding on now...heh-heh-heh. :huh:

14. mott342

mott342 New Member

I may be repeating myself, but it seems I replied on a different thread, so here it is again. :wacko: Hi Samantha (Sam?)...thanks for the welcome! I am very much a pantser, shoot-from-the-hip writer. Sometimes I know more about the story than others, but outlines give me hives. For me writing is really only fun when I'm finding out what happens next right along with the characters.

15. mott342

mott342 New Member

Yep, I'm repeating. More coffee now would be good. :blink:

16. Traci B

Traci B New Member

Lol - go get that caffeine, brother!

I'm with you. I keep a general outline in my head, but it seems that the minute I commit it to writing, I lose my creative flow. For me, making decisions on the fly works better.

17. Samantha Fury

LOL! Well Traci started us out right, by saying we were on the Funny Farm. LOL!

Sam, Samantha, Jacks Girl, Jacks, Sis, I answer to all and any of them. I once was even called Flo. LOL!

I know lots of people write from the hip. I like to try and use an outline so I don't end up with 150k in my story. LOL! Chapter outlines keep me focused so I don't write the story to long.

18. mott342

mott342 New Member

Caffeine ingested...let the fun begin!

19. Samantha Fury

It's getting closer are you all making plans. :) I'm hoping to start on my outline soon.

20. Traci B

Traci B New Member

Trying to get a book launched, a wedding behind us, a yard sale prepped and a new source of income secured, but I'll be looking at NaNo plans shortly. :)