Once Upon A Time

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Indie Authors, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought I might get the ball rolling by posting about one of my new favorite shows, "Once Upon A Time." Has anyone else seen this? I have to say, it's extremely original and creative.

Here is a synopsis from IMDB.com:

Ok, so it sounds a bit cheesy from that description, but I assure you, the show is fascinating. Methinks I'm hooked.

Here's a preview off Youtube for anyone interested:

2. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

I have seen this show, and it is pretty good. It has a good twist on classic tales. You are right it sound a bit cheesy, but it is much better then the description. It is worth watching, or at least giving a look. I hear that it is a well rated show. One of the best on CBS.

3. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

I saw the first episode and haven't seen once since. I was going to get caught up during the New Year's marathon but I forgot all about it. :(

I just finished watching all four seasons of Mad Men (can't wait for season 5), so I guess the last thing I need is another addiction. :)

4. Traci B

Traci B New Member

I've watched enough of it to want to see the new episodes when they air. I've also been watching another fairy tail based series, "Grimm." I missed the pilot, but I've seen enough episodes to get the premise - namely, that the creatures in the old fairy tales are real, living among us in human form, and can be seen in their true form only by a Grimm, a person gifted with that ability. It was thought among the various creature people that the grimms were all gone, but one lives - and he's a cop. So, he keeps running across these folks in his case investigations, and he has to deal with their doings while keeping certain things out of his reports. It's been interesting so far.

5. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I've seen both Once Upon a Time and Grimm, though in my opinion, Once Upon a Time is far better. It hangs together more as a story with multiple threads and less as a concept piece where each episode kinda stands alone.

When I first heard of it, I thought, "There's no way that's gonna last."

I am now fervently hoping that I am completely wrong. The show is deliciously dark, capturing the essence of faerie tales without the Disney-fication that most of us grew up with, and then weaving it into a modern context. Very original (and refreshing for that alone).

6. BlueLady

BlueLady New Member

I watch both Once Upon a Time and Grimm. The first one is better on so many levels, acting, story line, etc. And I love the back and forth between the two realities. Grimm on the other hand is like what Michael Scott mentioned in his post, it is less dimensional. However, it's filmed in Portland, OR and surrounding area and I live across the river in the state of Washington and so many of the outside shots are places I've been or know the general area so it's fun from that angle.

7. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

I hadn't heard of Grimm. Sounds very interesting! I'll have to check it out.

WG - I believe the episodes are on Hulu if you have a few hours to kill and want to get caught up. :)

wgjones3 likes this.
  8. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I watch "Once upon a Time" with my family. Haven't seen the episode from Sunday yet, but otherwise have watched every episode.

I think Mr. Gold/Rumple knows as well as the evil Queen.

JH

9. Tiffany

Tiffany New Member

Being Down Under, it hasn't officially aired here, but I found it through iTunes. Our family now eagerly awaits the minute is available for download and then begrudge the 45 min it takes to download.

It is truly one of my favorite shows ever. The whole thing is so cinematic. Each episode is filmed like a movie. And while the plots are sometimes confusingly intertwined it is deliciously intriguing.

All that to say I love this show!

Tiffany