Paper Books Vs Ebooks

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Heidi, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I read a comment recently that said ebooks have proven they were not just a fad but will stand the test of time (or something along those lines anyway) Personally, I haven't worked up the kindle version of my first book yet, I'm too busy writing the second, and I'm still pretty old fashioned. I love to hold a book in my hands. Besides, my son doesn't have a way to sell kindle books on his book store site yet. ;) However, I've noticed several indie authors only write ebooks. I guess I can understand that the profit margin is better (maybe? even if they only charge 99 cents??) but I don't understand why one would choose to go that way exclusively. What do you think?

2. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

Last year ebook outsold paperback/hardcovers by over 400 percent...maybe more.
    I would love to have versions of both.
    But right now, I live outside the US and there are some more hurdles to jump with tax numbers and US governments I do not want to deal with.
    I also know that there is a well known author Aaaron Shepard in his self-publishing book called Aiming at Amazon, he suggests authors use one or the other because having TWO versions, ebook and paperback, will affect the Amazon sales ranking.

That's what I know.

3. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I've released all my books electronically, and only a few in print. The main reason is, quite simply, distribution. It's far easier to release a book on Amazon or Smashwords and have sales happening immediately than to go through the hassle of formatting the same book for print. So unless I have a compelling reason to put a book in print (ie: the title is selling reasonably well), I don't want to bother with it. That being said, I usually plan to have all my books in print.

But they do cost quite a bit more. I haven't found a good solution to keeping the costs of print down and still allow myself the decent royalty return on the books.

4. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

My husband was thinking of going to Homeschool Conventions and other places where you can share with readers, and he said, we should make one print copy of each of our books, set them out on the table, and when people ask, tell them what the print costs really are compared to ebooks. I love our Kindles and don't even want to go back to "Real" books. We want to display the kindles, have our book trailers on video, and really "sell" the non-print idea to people. I don't think they understand how much print costs and how it affects and author's ability to extend his reach to "have to" have print books to have credibility.

5. Y I Lee

Y I Lee New Member

I don't have a kindle yet, but even when I do there will always be certain books I want in paperback! I too love holding a book in my hands. While I am able I will continue to publish my books in paperback and kindle. So far it's working well for me. :)

6. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Have Micha email me. I will show him how to sell them on his site.

7. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Odd, I make so much more on a print copy than an e-copy.

8. Heidi

Heidi New Member

that's what I would have thought too, Chautona, unless the volume of ebook sales for one's particular book really outshines that of their paper book sales. Then again I haven't tried to get a new one published since Createspace changed their pro plan thing. Maybe it won't be as good now.

9. Chautona

Chautona New Member

It's better now. Saves 15 bucks if you go expanded or just more money if you don't want to pay the 40.

10. Heidi

Heidi New Member

good news!