Posting And Updating A Story Online?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Adambo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Adambo

Adambo New Member

I don't know if any of you have ever read a webcomic, but if you have then you know how the story only goes so far, and then you have to wait until "update day" to find out what happens next. I'd like to do this with a story, but I'm not sure how. I would like to use something that would allow me to post one chapter at a time, and then allow people to go back and read the earlier ones as well. I know I could use a standard blog for that, but I'd like to use something that would allow people to jump between chapters easily, instead of scrolling all the way down the page and searching each page for the right one. Does anyone know how I could do this? Does what I'm saying even make sense?

2. Heidi

Heidi New Member

You could do a standard blog, but then make a table of contents page with links to each of the chapters. I think that's what Chautona did with "Past Forward" and it's what I'm planning to do with my Saturday Stories posts, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The only think I don't like about putting up a story on a blog is that it ends up being backwards, but I guess that's not too big of a deal. You could also just make a real website and do it that way. You just have to put each paragraph of your story into html tags :)

3. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Youc ould also arrange for the oldest posts to be arranged at the top and the newest at the end, but I didn't like that option. I preferred to keep a table of contents and post the latest whenever it was up.

4. Adambo

Adambo New Member

How much story do you think would be a good amount to update with every week? I had the thought that perhaps I could update every week with a single page, or at least a small segment of a chapter instead of the entire thing. This could keep the update ammount from becoming overwhelming as well as increasing the amount of time I will have before I run out of story to post. What do you think?

5. Heidi

Heidi New Member

depends on the length of your chapters, but probably a shorter amount like that would be fine, I would think. The shorter you're planning on, the sooner you can start posting the story, right? ;)

6. Chautona

Chautona New Member

If you are going to be faithful about posting x times a week, then as little as 750 words at a time is good. If it's only going to be once a week, I wouldn't post less than 1000.

I also would not start posting until I had a dozen or more ready to go. Trust me. You WILL need that leeway. Life just gets in the way. LOL

7. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Interesting thoughts, as this is what I'm planning on doing with my new book In the Widening Gyre. I plan on putting it right on my blog, but maybe I ought to rethink that. The problem with the story being chronologically backwards hadn't really occurred to me.

Wordpress allows you to create specific pages, and while these are static, it would be a simple matter to make sub-pages for each of the chapters, I would think, with a link at the bottom that would take you to the next page. I may have to play around with this a bit before going "Live" with it.