Problems With Free Books And Amazon?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Paula Liebe, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Paula Liebe

Paula Liebe New Member

Having published a trilogy I thought of offering the 1st installment for free for an extended period of time. In Mark Coker's marketing book I found a few websites that dedicate themselves to free ebooks. Upon visiting http://freebooks.ontheknob.com/blog I found a disturbing post saying:

This site has been closed down to comply with Amazon’s new policy: no free books may be mentioned by an Amazon Associate or they risk losing all income for that month and possibly forever. In fact, even if the site never mentions a free book, they can lose their entire month’s income if the people they refer to Amazon buy “too many” free books in a month.

Does anybody have experience with this new policy of Amazon, which went into effect March this year?

2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

I do know there was some issues with free and a lot of people stopped using them but I don't understand it. Amazon offers free, but they did not want us using our affiliate buttons to advertise. That is the only thing I got out of it, when I was reading it. You are not allowed to get a so called SALE from a free book on your Affiliate account.

That was my understanding.

3. Y I Lee

Y I Lee New Member

If you have your ebook on Amazon KDP select, and make it free for the allotted days allowed. You are not allowed to have the book with any other pub, bar Amazon. The only way to publish the book with Smashwords for example, and all other pub is to remove the book from KDP. However, that doesn't mean it's no longer published with Amazon Kindle...just KDP select. That's my understanding, anyway.