Publishing Is Tough But Self-Publishing Is Tougher!

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by edsart, Jan 10, 2012.

1. edsart

edsart New Member

I paid Trafford Publishing Co. to publish my novel, "The Host—A novel of life and death on the high desert" in 2007 after my agent left me and about 70 other authors high and dry by quitting the business in an untimely manner. Even though the book is on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other websites, most distribution has been by me through personal sales and giveaways which is not a lot.

Trafford, as I'm sure is the case with any self-publishing company, charges large fees for any help with promotion. And many of those efforts don't produce sales. So it's fairly discouraging to keep the will to engage in any more self-publishing especially when those products are disdained by distributors, bookstores and other outlets which are avaiable to authors who are lucky enough to be published by mainstream publishers.

Folks whose opinions I respect and who have read my novel have given it good reviews. It would just be great to find ways to get a larger audience!

Ed Crumley

Attached Files:

2. Traci B

Traci B New Member

Ed, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I hope things get better for you and your book soon.

edsart likes this.
  3. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I've got sales mostly in the low double digits for my books, but I'm determined to make it by just cranking out as many quality novels as possible and generating a loyal readership by not disappointing them. I'm still waiting on December sales figures, but it looks like I'm holding steady between 20 and 30 books a month. I hope, by this time next year, to have multiplied that figure several times over--but that means I have to double if not triple my available titles.

I wish there was an easier way. Like you, I haven't had much success with advertising. It takes reader discovery and word of mouth to generate sales. The best advertising in the world can only hope to stimulate that, and there's no guarantee it will work.

4. writersprite

writersprite New Member

@Michael: 20-30 books a month is fantastic!

Right now I have churned out triple digit samples (for the year) through Smashwords, but not a lot of full book purchases, which is unfortunate! Another unfortunate thing is that I don't have the time for extreme marketing. Instead, I have focused on book revisions and adding more titles to my virtual bookshelf. When I have more time, I am going to see about consulting with Tommie Lyn on what she has done for marketing her books. Book signings, farmer's markets, and things of that nature have flitted through my mind as possibilities, as well as pinpointing other places that have some type of connection to my story. It helps that I'm not in it for the money, although I would not turn down a movie contract should it be offered. :)

5. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Hmm. I don't know about "fantastic." It's only a couple hundred bucks a year. My goal is "quit your job" money, so I'm still a ways away from that. My total book sales (so far, still waiting for the rest of December's numbers from Smashwords) is 322. In the six months prior to that (which is when I started), my total was 33 (which, doubled--I guess for the year--would be 66). So I'm definitely doing better after a year and a half than I was after six months, but like I said, my income from writing last year was a paltry $353.35. Less than a week's pay.

Then again, they say it can take up to three years to get this off the ground, so I'm not discouraged. This is a ten year plan, not a ten month plan (as I keep telling my wife).

6. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome, Ed! Hoping your luck is at a turning point, and this will be a fantastic year. :)

7. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Hello and welcome Ed! It is great to have you here!