Selling Ebooks Directly From Website

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jonathoncharlap, Mar 31, 2012.

1. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

I'm curious about selling ebooks directly from a website. J.K. Rowling, a very clever business woman, has done this with potter more. Has anyone else tried this business model?

http://shop.pottermore.com/en_US

So my question is, how would sell the ebook itself from a website?

2. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I imagine you'd need a PayPal account, and then some means of delivering the file people purchased. I've not tried it myself. It might be an email thing, rather than a download. And you might have to have them specify what file format they wanted to purchase it in.

Regardless, you'd be able to keep all the proceeds from the sale. Not sure how you'd do the DRM thing, though (if at all).

3. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

J.K. Rowling only got away with it because the Harry Potter phenomenon came and went before eBooks were even a blip on the radar and people are willing to jump through all the hoops of registering at an external site that, as one commentator stated, looks like it was designed in Geocities and responds as though it was coded by North Korean hackers--granted, now that the initial rush to purchase is over, I'm sure the site works much better.

If you really want to sell through your own site, I do believe Smashwords has an affiliate program that will make it worthwhile, but in my opinion, if I'm paying for a book for my Kindle, it had better be delivered via Whispernet. YMMV.

4. russ5260

russ5260 New Member

I have two web sites that sell my eBooks in addition to Amazon, B&N, and Kobo. Yes you have to have a business Paypal account and you do a download of the eBook. I am having moderate success but I make far more money with Amazon, B&N, and Kobo.

5. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

For now I'm staying with leaving them on Amazon. If you do this make sure it does not take too much time out from your writing time. We authors are bad to get into too many things when we should be working on book two, three, four.. lol etc. I know I'm terrible for this.

Sam

russ5260 likes this.