Starting A Christmas Promotion

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Michael J Scott, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

So I'm doing a little Christmas sale type thingy. Using KDP Select for two of my titles that need a little love. I'm not making use of my regular publicist for these two, if only because I can't seem to rally enough reviews for her to put to use.

I don't know how big it'll be, given that everyone and their brother will be pushing for Christmas, but what the heck. It's worth a shot. At the worst, I hope to give a way a couple thous. and maybe garner some of those reviews I so desperately need. At the most, I'll actually make some money doing this.

I've got a little more work to do to pull this off, but we'll see how it goes. The books are below (if you're curious), and the promo runs from December 24 through December 26. Maybe there'll be some new Kindle owners I can dazzle. :p

CHRISTMAS SALE! December 24, 25, and 26, Spilled Milk is FREE to Download!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RMQYLY
    What would you do to protect your kids? For Gerrold Smith, a widower whose children have been taken from him by the courts, the answer is to hold the city hostage. What starts as a random act of violence quickly escalates into terrorist activity, and as Gerrold discovers the city’s dark secret, he must choose between saving his own children, or sacrificing them to save even more.

CHRISTMAS SALE! December 24, 25, and 26, Eye of Darkness is FREE to Download!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GPG0IS
    A mercenary ex-Sheriff and a girl outcast from her tribe investigate serial kidnappings and murders. Is it evidence of magick, or is some other darkness bringing such evil into their land?

2. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Both books sound great! I hope your Christmas sale did well for you!

3. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

How did this one turn out. ;)

4. Michael J Scott

Hi guys,

This promo didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I think I made several mistakes, and blogged about them here. I'd be interested in any suggestions or comments on my postmortem analysis.

5. Samantha Fury

I really would have thought Christmas would be a good time to go free, maybe not. I don't really know other than hindsight, saying maybe there is too many people doing something free at that time, and also maybe too many people just not on line at that time. I know myself i was on line very very little during the week of Christmas.

I know you did well the first time, so who knows. But after your first run it had to be very disappointing.

Sam

6. Michael J Scott

Yeah. My first two runs were very successful. Right around the end of summer. These were "meh" at best. Can't say that I've had any sales because of it.

7. Samantha Fury

I did a giveaway just after Christmas, I got a smattering of sales. It's hard to tell why things work and why they don't. I did do well on the free days. So far it's turned into 90 sales in one month but will that hold up or will it just be that and then drizzle to nothing.