Story Defining Quotes?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Adambo, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Adambo

Adambo New Member

Have you ever come up with a cool quote in your head that went on to inspire an entire story? I've only had that experience twice, and neither of the stories got finished, but it really is cool when a single quote spawns an entire storyline. I don't know where they'd fit now, but I'd still like to use them someday. My two lines are:

"Most people wear a mask so that nobody will recognize them. I wear one so that everyone will know who I am."

and

"They say you never feel more alive than the moment you are faced with death. I wonder how many times I will feel alive before I kill you?"

2. Chautona

Chautona New Member

I have several like that. I love it when that happens.

I think yours are pretty awesome, btw.

3. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Those are great. So, are they quotes from your characters or something that your characters are quoting? I can't say I've ever had that experience - yet :)

4. Adambo

Adambo New Member

They are quotes my characters are saying.

5. Adambo

Adambo New Member

by the way, I want to hear what your cool quotes are as well ;)

6. Traci B

Traci B New Member

Can't say I've had single quotes inspire a whole story, but I have had bits of dialogue come to me that I wanted to use in a scene. Memorable quotes like those (especially your first one) make excellent taglines or hooks for promoting your work.