Super New, Super Scared

Discussion in 'Meets & Greets' started by Ashley, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Virgin author here, Hello everyone! I just sat down and began writing my book last week, it's always been a desire of mine. I always had so many wonderful ideas and now that I've sat down to get it going I am STUCK!!
    Writer's block is an understatement, I'm having the ultimate brain freeze, brain fart moments. The other day I literally sat in front of my laptop and watched the cursor blink for about an hour. I already have my genre decided, along with a title and a rough outline of it all but for some reason I just can't get these fingers going and it doesn't really help that I have this adorable, demanding 6 month old hanging on my hip. Has anyone else gone through this? Can you offer some tips?

2. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

Hi Ashley, welcome to Indieauthors! Getting stuck is pretty normal, I would say. It does happen, Unfortunately. Music helps me focus. It is great to meet you, and have you here!

3. Andras M. Nagy

Andras M. Nagy New Member

If you have a rule to write so many words a day then obviously you must change that, if not permanently but temporarily.

4. Brandyn Blaze

Brandyn Blaze New Member

Oh, I feel ya there! I find myself stuck often, and I usually find that focusing on something else for a short time and allowing my mind to run for a while brings it back. Often, it's something mundane like washing the dishes that does the trick! As for writing with a child hanging on you, I've been doing that for four years now! That part does get easier. Once they can entertain themselves for a short stretch of time, you can use those lulls to blast out some words! I usually get up at 5 and get straight to work while the house is nice and quiet.