Tell Us About Your Success!

Discussion in 'Plugs, Promotion, & Success Stories' started by Indie Authors, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's your opportunity to toot your own horn and tell us about your success. Post interview and book signing notices, post new book announcements, and let us know about other successes.
    We look forward to hearing from you!

2. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Since being traditionally publishing in 2009, I turned self in 2010 and now have 6 books in release, 5 YA fantasy and 1 Christian historical fiction. In 2011, I was named 1 of 50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading 2011, by the Authors Show.

drdaveherndon likes this.
  3. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Hey, that's great ShawnLamb. Congratulations!

Out of curiosity, what is Authors Show?

I've got a traditional book coming out in August from Ellechor Publishing (Christian action-adventure), and I've released four books independently (3 political thrillers and 1 psychothriller.).

4. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Thanks, Scott. Authors Show is an internet radio station that does top notch interviews. They have several afflilate stations including the Christian Author Show - which is where my interview aired. The Author Show holds an annual contest for readers to vote for all the authors they interviewed through-out the year. Then they put together an e-book "50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading 2011" which is for sale on Amazon, with extensive highlight of the 50 winning authors.

5. Michael J Scott

Cool. Thanks for the info!

6. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

You're welcome. I wanted to get my book covers in my signature, but it doesn't take jpegs on urls. How did you do it?

7. Michael J Scott

I went to my Author Central page on Amazon, where all my books are shown, and using the small images provided, I right-mouse-clicked and selected "Copy Image Location." This is what I pasted into the URL section for the images in the signature. Once this was done, I selected each image and made a link taking it to the location of my Kindle books.

8. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

So - you mean something like this:

9. Michael J Scott

Perfect! Except that none of them are links. Not a big deal if you want to keep it that way, but if you click the little chain near the image icon, you can insert the URL of your choice to take people where your books are sold.

10. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Okay. Let's see if these work.

TammyHensel likes this.
  11. Michael J Scott

Looks like it worked. Took me right to your Amazon page.

TammyHensel and ShawnLamb like this.
  12. TammyHensel

TammyHensel New Member

One of my devotions was published recently in the Gary Chapman project Love Is A Verb Devotional by Bethany House. It is a 365-day devotion book sold as a companion to Chapman's book by the same title. My devotion is entitled "Radiating God's Love" and is the reading for August 28. I hope to do a lot more devotional writing in the future. :)

13. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

Booked my second conference based on my book, Is Jesus Enough? today. It is a good feeling to know that not only are people reading my book, but that it is having an impact. Just opened a web store on my site too. http://discernmentministries.webs.com/apps/webstore/. Another outlet besides Amazon and Barnes and Noble (hopefully).

14. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Congrats to both Tammy & Dr. Dave.

TammyHensel likes this.
  15. PaulineCreeden

PaulineCreeden New Member

Simple Success -

One of my short stories was read to her class by a local Creative Writing High School Teacher - Now the class wants me to came talk to them :)

I just started publishing articles in magazines in Aug 2011, and self-pub'd the 4 non-fic books below. Currently working on a short story anthology and 4 novels at verying stages. :)

TammyHensel and drdaveherndon like this.
  16. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

Seasons Of A Life is available at Amazon (linked in siggy) and on Kindle (although that needs to be reformatted...the bane of my exsistance) (as is spelling, obviously :ph34r: ) It's the first of a series, Christian Fiction/Romance

[​IMG]

17. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

Just got confirmation on a conference based on my first book, Is Jesus Enough? On April 20-22, I will be traveling to Great Falls, Montana and speak at 1[sup]st[/sup] Southern Baptist Church. This is exciting and is a longer speaking engagement than I had in October when a Lutheran church had me come as a guest (although they have invited me to come back this summer)

18. Michael J Scott

Yes! Just got the sales numbers in for December from Smashwords. Between Smashwords, Amazon and Createspace, I sold 43 books last month (for a whopping $30.82!). That makes December my second highest sales month ever. My highest was June, where I more than doubled that due to The Coppersmith being released in the Apple store. Amazon now represents 43% of my sales, Apple 30%, and Barnes and Noble 12%. Everything else is in single digits.

Total sales for last year: 343 books. Previous year: 33 books (representing only six months of sales). I've made almost as much in the last seven months as I did in the first twelve, and it's possible that I'll surpass that before January is out.

19. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Just out of curiosity, Michael, do you participate in events? Book signings? Anything in person outside online? I do my greatest sales at events, with online being in addition, not my primary focus.

20. Michael J Scott

To tell the truth, I wouldn't know where to begin on something like that. Our finances are so tight right now, that ordering books to truck around with me for sale is, quite frankly, out of reach. I don't even really know what a blog tour is, or how to participate. I'm generally a quick study on things, but sales has always been by weakest "skill set."

I've had a passing thought about getting some copies of my Jefferson's Road books and taking them to a local gun store to see a) whether or not the store would sell them, and B) whether or not people would buy them. I'm sorta thinking they're likely in my target audience (hah!) for those books. But like I said, ordering a bunch of copies to do this is...

Wait, I'm making an excuse. I do have a reserve of cash from my first Smashwords pay-out that I could use toward this. It's not much, but it might be sufficient to do something.

So like I said, it just goes back to inexperience producing paralysis. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.