Westbow Press?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Adambo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Adambo

Adambo New Member

MY dad has come into contact with (and thus gotten me into contact with) a man who is about to self publish a novel through Westbow Press. He tells me that he has spoken to a man there, and has managed to obtain one of their medium packages for about half price (close to $1700 now). He says that if I call this man and tell him he refered me to them, I may be able to get the same deal. For those who don't know, Westbow Press is one of the biggest self publishing companies in existence. They're big because (from what I can tell) they're almost a traditional publisher, because of everything they'll do for you. The biggest thing is that they'll distribute your book to bookstores on their own. From what I've seen and heard, it's all a great deal! The problem is that they're expensive... VERY expensive. Their cheapest package is about $1000. Even if I manage to get a 50% discount on the package he's recommended, it will still cost over $1000. If they do everything they promise, it certainly sounds as if it would be worth the money. I'm still hesitant, though, because... well, $1700 is a lot of money. What would you recommend?

2. Heidi

Heidi New Member

wow - that's so far out of my price range I can't even imagine it. I think I'd stick with createspace.

3. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

They also charge you a lot to buy copies of your own book, if you some for your own signings, sales, etc. My negotiations with them broke down at that point. Now that my book has sold a lot of copies, they have called back, but the experience didn't set well with me

4. Adambo

Adambo New Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just goint to stick with Createspace. :)

5. silumenye

silumenye New Member

So far, I've had pretty good experience with Westbow. They did everything they said they would, and they always respond within a day or two when I have emailed them with a question. And they certainly did distribute the book quite widely. So I am pleased it my decision to go with them. I think the investment is worth it - even though it took me two years to save up for it. (I don't work.)

6. PFNikolai

PFNikolai New Member

Thanks for asking about WestBow and the services we offer. I believe WestBow is unique in the self-publishing or indie publishing arena in that it is a division of the traditional publisher Thomas Nelson (my employer), and we monitor each title an author publishes with WestBow to identify candidates for acquisition. For more information see http://www.westbowpress.com/Blog/HowDoesThomasNelsonDetermine.aspx

Thanks!

Pete Nikolai
    Director of Publishing Services
    WestBow Press

7. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

WestBow used to be a full imprint of Thomas Nelson that paid advances. I know, one of the aquisitions editors was looking at my YA fantasy series just as Thomas Nelson went through a complete restructing and turned WestBow into a co-publishing venture. No, I'm not with WestBow, but another known Christian publisher hawking co-publishing and I can't say it's been good for me at all - no publisher support, just take the money and cut the author loose.