What Got You Started With Writing?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jedi79, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

When did you get into writing, and what inspired you? What was your first work?

2. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

My first was a rip-off on Star Wars. The neighborhood kids and I got it into our heads that we were gonna make a movie, since we'd all been so inspired by the film (we used to dress up and hit each other with our lightsabers on summer nights, as well as argue about whether or not Darth Vader was a robot or not. This was the first movie, mind you).

I volunteered to write the script. I was nine years old.

We never did make the movie, surprise, surprise, but I never really stopped writing.

3. Vira

Vira New Member

I've always been an inquisitive talker, asking questions that others just didn't care to engage in discussing. What else can a girl do but write the questions and then try to get answers for them?

Many of my writing attemps are scripted under the heading of a question.

4. Adambo

Adambo New Member

I started writing somewhere around the age of nine. My parents were very strict on the "No Harry Potter" rule, so I decided to take the initiative and write my own. Being nine, copyrights and lawsuits never once crossed my mind. It was going to be the best story ever written, I would be rich, there would be movies and video games, and nobody would ever read Harry Potter again! I got about twenty pages in (not so impressive when I use 40-point font through the whole thing, lol), and then quit and never went back. I started a few other books during the following years, but they all met the same fate. I didn't start writing seriously until my junior year of high school. I was in agriculture science, and didn't really feel like listening to an hour's worth of why the Brangus bull was the superior bovine. So, I took out my Alphasmart (best thing ever for writing away from home) and began to write a story. It was pretty stupid ("chosen one" helps Santa fight war against Winter Warlock) but I was convinced it was the best thing ever. To my own immense surprise, I actually finished it a month later! It was somewhere around 100 pages long. I immediately began looking for literary agents ("forget editing! it's perfect!" I thought). Then a big storm hit and blew my computer out, erasing the entire file with it. Took me a couple weeks, but I then started writing another book. Now, I've finished four books, and self published two. :)

5. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Scene: My bedroom, the salt air wafting through the window as I curled on my couch engrossed in a book my mother insisted I read.
    The book: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

There was a scene in that book. Francie (MC--poor girl in Brooklyn tenaments, half-starved all the time) watches her teacher start to throw away a small pie because no one in the class will overcome their pride and ask for it. She can't stand it, so she raises her hand and takes it, assuring the teacher she wants it for little girls she knows that need food. She, of course, eats it on the way home from school. The following Monday, the teacher asks her about it and Francie gets carried away telling about how it saved the little girls' lives--twins of course-- and the doctor was so grateful... The teacher suggests it was an awfully small pie to save two lives at which point, Francie confesses that she ate it. The teacher tells her that she knew it.

I can still feel the wonder and amazement at the teacher's next words. "Tell the truth, but write what should have happened." It changed my life. I HATED the truth as a kid. I told the absolute truth because if I didn't, I'd be in serious trouble, but I hated it and never knew WHY. That one sentence explained it all. I wante to tell how things SHOULD have happened. I started writing that day. Oh the self-righteous drivel that poured from my mind! UGH. Thank the Lord I figured out it was horrible.

I love writing. My problem is having enough time to write all that clutters my brain!

Samantha Fury likes this.
  6. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

I started writing when I was 8, the day the sky turned green, it was a sci fi of sorts. Don't recall if it was for school or not. I've always told myself stories even before the age of 8 mom had to set the table for little Jimmy from Puff and Stuff so he could eat dinner with us and she had to tuck him in too lol Poor mom I bet I was a handful.

After that I always told myself stories, I was an only child so there was plenty of time for that. At 16 I hated the way days of our lives was going so I started my own Bo and Hope Novel. Later on in my 20's there was a time in my life for about four years that I didn't understand my gift, and I got to the point where my writing controlled me. So I stopped. I figured out after a while that wasn't possible so I started back, and with the help of CW learned that I was not crazy, I was normal for an Author.. :)

I learned that I needed to add my Christian values and life into my writing and that there was an actual market for such things. Years later I have two books self published and I have many more to come, the editing and staying focused on one story, is the only thing that slows me down.

Samantha Fury

7. Traci B

Traci B New Member

The first thing I remember writing is a poem. I was about 7 or 8, and I read a love poem in a magazine for young women that some relative bought a subscription for on my behalf, not realizing that its content was geared toward tweens and teens. That poem sparked my first verse:

Love is two,
    love is you,
    love is me,
    love is being together
    most happily.

Not very profound for an adult, but not bad for a third grader. :) I've been writing poems ever since, and have tried my hand at songs as well. I did better with the poems.

These days, I'm concentrating on novels, with a little short story ghost writing on the side. I have three novels drafted, a fourth started (it's stuck in a ditch on the side of a Mississippi back road at the moment), and ideas for at least two more. Plans are to get the first novel edited and self-published by the end of the year, with the sequel (the one in the ditch) to follow by mid 2013, if not sooner. The other two drafted novels (books one and two in a possible trilogy or series) need editing, but I want to release them as well, perhaps under a pseudonym since they're in a different genre than the first two.

8. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

LOL. You mean you didn't write a script at 9-years-old? That's hilarious!

9. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

Awesome story!
    I think I remember that book.
    You grew up in Ventura? I lived in Santa Barbara for over ten years!

10. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

Since before ten, writing was my therapy.
    Those countless notebooks took all the feelings I was not allowed to express, and could not piece together myself.
    Writing for me has always been a form of therapy.

Since I got saved, however, He has turned it totally around. Now it seems that He is using writing as a way to speak directly to people—prophetically.
    So now instead of me talking to Him, He is talking to me! Funny how that worked out!