1. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

If you have never entered the Nano contest let me explain and offer you some links.

Here is the official site of the contest. http://www.nanowrimo.org you will find everything you need to know here, but I'll explain a few things.

This contest happens ever November. It starts November 1st. If you love to write, and you love a contest this is for you. The question is, and the contest is, can you write 50 thousands words in a month. If you think you can, or want to try, then come on and join us Nano Contestants.

If you want to play along legally come up with a brand new story that you have never written one word on and start writing November 1st. You are allowed to outline and plan and think things out, but just don't write one word of the actual story.

Thousands of people enter this contest every year. I've one for years in a row and I'm planning on trying again. Last year there were some prizes for the winners, and there were a lot of winners.

Past Nano Participants feel free to tell us about your past experience with Nano.

Links coming soon.
    Official 2012 Nana word count thread.
    Cheering section.

See you on November 1st.

Ask any questions. And get ready to write write, write!!!

Samantha Fury

2. Lacole

Lacole New Member

I'm wanting to enter this year. I have never done it. Planned to but it always falls through for one reason or another.

Michael J Scott likes this.
  3. Samantha Fury

Hey, Lacole! I just love Nano. I hope you can page it this year. Do you like to outline, or shoot from the hip? I try to outline and follow it somewhat.

4. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Hi Lacole, welcome!

It took me three tries before I succeeded at Nano. Last year I finished a novel after only seven weeks! I highly recommend it. It's a tough, grueling marathon, but the rewards are great.

This year I'll be using NaNo to finish two WIP's that are almost done. One book has 41,523 words written, and the other has 54,547 words. I need about 64,000 more words between the two of them. I'm hoping to whittle that number down to the 50K mark before NaNo begins, so I'll be well-prepared to tackle these projects and succeed before the end of the month.

Samantha Fury likes this.
  5. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

Ok, so you are going to be working on books you have already started. I thought you had to do a new book. How do you tell them what your word count was at the start and finish so they know?

JH

6. Michael J Scott

That's actually just a word count tracking problem on my end. I just need to keep track of how many words I start out with, and then add the NaNo numbers from there. As long as I'm cranking out the requisite 1667 words per day, I should be fine.

7. Samantha Fury

True to win and claim the prizes you are supposed to start on a new story, but a lot of people do this, they even have some posts about it I think it's called Rebel Nano, or something like that. I always want to feel good about taking the prize so I start fresh on something I've never done anything but outline on. Last year they give us five free copies plus shipping if you life in the states.

Sam

8. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

I'm doing Nano again this year. I got an idea for the story while driving through Utah from New Mexico back up to Montana where I live. Every time we drive through Utah it seems to take forever to get from one end of that state to the other. I always say - we're in the unending state of Utah.

As I mulled that over in my mind a bit, I got this idea for a story where a woman is driving through Utah and it truly never ends. She never seems to be able to reach her destination. She drives on and on, the landscape becomes unfamiliar, she begins to see strange things on the side of the road, etc.

That's going to be my Nano entry this year. I'm still working on last year's entry. It needs some more editing. It's called The Architects of Paradise. It's science fiction. I had planned on publishing that after I published The Vrykolakas Deviation, but then I got an idea for a sequel and got sidetracked.

9. Samantha Fury

This reminds me of a Tony Hillerman novel. Sounds interesting.

10. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

Ok, I am seriously thinking about doing it. My only real problem is that I will have family in town during parts of November and not sure if I can get the time. But I am thinking I am going to enter.

JH

11. Samantha Fury

Hey something always happens during November. :)

12. Michael J Scott

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! :D

13. sherrijots

sherrijots New Member

Yes, you should do it. Even if you don't finish it during Nano, you'll still have a MS to work on later. I didn't finish Nano a couple of years back but I recently dug out that MS and have decided to turn it into a novella.

14. Samantha Fury

I love Nano, so far every year it's given me a new novel. I'm not sure which book I'll be working on yet, more than likely one of the Street Justice Series. I am behind on getting them out. I should have book three out by now but the editing is just slowing me down.

:)

15. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I guess the big question then is should I work on "Day Three" of my tale (already have some written) or start a new tale (have one in mind, actually more than one but one I think I would do if I don't do Day Three)? HMMMMMMMMMM

JH

16. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I think I have decided and updated my NaNoWriMo account. I am going to work on a new story called "The Foundation of the LightWalkers". It is a cool story idea that I have, I think. That will be fun to work on for a month.

Ok, so I am in. Now what? LOL!!!!!

JH

17. Michael J Scott

I suggest coming up with an outline. It isn't necessary, but it can be quite helpful toward acheiving your goal. If you have a clear sense of where the story is going, it'll help you git 'er done.

I've written one book by the seat of my pants, and it did quite well. Another I tried that way, only to get stuck at 30K for another three months because I needed a puzzle I hadn't developed ahead of time. So, it kinda depends on the story.

In other words, use these next two weeks to do any prep work, research, etc. that you might normally do for a book so that you can just concentrate on producing come November.

18. Samantha Fury

Great Advice Michael, I normally try to get things around the house ready, get some food cooked up, get the laundry caught up anything that will free up some time for Nano. I even tell my family, Look I'm going to be busy so don't call a lot. LOL.

I also try to get my outline done, to help me, because when you are looking at that blank screen things can go crazy in your mind when you know you really need to be getting some words down. :)

I like to have about five good days where I just write write write. I normally have one day, and I mean 24 hours I'll start and I'll say okay this is the day I'm going to write 8000 words, and I'll hammer it out. I'm going for 10500 this year, because last year my record was 10000 in a 24 hour period.

It's my personal best ever, and I want to top it. Having a day like that can really give you some relief for those days when you just can't write anything.

19. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I do have an outline. I have actually had this outline in my head for a while. So I do know where I am starting, and where I am going, and most of how I am going to get there. Of course, there is a lot of fleshing out to do but I do have an outline.

I read a book a long time ago by J. Michael Strazynski (probably butchered the spelling) about screenwriting and he stressed the importance of an outline. Then he talked about why he hated them. But it struck with me that an outline is a great idea.

Of course, I wrote the Quest book before I read that and did not have an outline. But then it worked out I think. Of course, no one but me will know until I finish it. LOL!!!

JH

20. Samantha Fury

I think an outline helps to keep you paced. It normally keeps me from writing too many chapters and too many words. :)