What Is The Best Movie Based On A Book?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by jedi79, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

What is the best movie that you saw, that was based on a book? For me it is The Notebook. I believe it is true that most books are always better than the movie. I found The Notebook to be a great book and movie. I have read the book once and watch the movie two or three times. I haven't been able to get my wife to watch it with me yet. She knows how it ends, and I don’t think she is interested because of that.

2. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

so glad no one has said Twilight :lol:

3. thebiblestop

thebiblestop New Member

Lord of the Rings is my favorite book turned movies.

4. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I'm doing series about book/movie adaptations on my blog. I take my award-winning Hollywood screenwriting experience and explore this question. I discussed the Best Screenplay Adaptation and why, and the Worst Screenplay adapation and why. The series began earlier this month to enlighten authors about what a book/movie option contract really means, the pitfals, scriptwriting - complete with tips and examples, then making the comparisons. Thursday was Part 5.

http://allonbooks-th...on.blogspot.com

5. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

wow, Shawn! Lynch was offered Return of the Jedi? can you imagine how that would have been? :lol:

do you think it was just a David Lynch thing to why Dune tanked? anyone who loves Lynch (that i know) LOVES Dune

(i happen to love Twin Peaks...TV version ;) i'm not all that fussed on his other stuff, Blue Velvet probably scarred me somehow and Eraserhead was just :blink: )

6. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

With Dune, I think there were too many hands involved in the making. Each sucessive script rewrite, the story moved further from the book. In the original editing phase, Lynch did fumble. The 20 year anniversary edition was an attempt to make a directors cut, but again, didn't do well on video and DVD. For those who 'love Lynch' it must have been hard to hear him admit he never should have made Dune.

7. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

thanks Shawn

i just read through the "Book to Movie" posts...great info!

8. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Thanks.

9. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

Right now, I'm leaning toward the 1963 version of The Haunting.

10. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Gotta go with Lord of the Rings. Maybe not as faithful to the text, per se, but certainly faithful to the spirit of the franchise. Peter Jackson told his cast and crew they weren't filming a movie - they were making a documentary about a real world. That's how he wanted them to approach it. When Bernard Hill was getting into costume in a scene (he played Théoden), he said that he noticed the fabric interior of his armor was stitched with horses in keeping with the theme of the Rohirrim. No one else in the entire film would see it but him alone, but it made a deep impression on him in his portrayal of the character. Nobody makes movies like that!

11. bumblebee

bumblebee New Member

I would have to say the comic books that they make into movies . Such as Iron Man, X Men, Spiderman, and the new Avengers movie coming out soon soon looks great!

12. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

I think I want to change my answer to Shutter Island. :)

13. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Well, honestly, Barb... after the first one anyway, I think the Twilight movies are better than the books. Let's not mistake my meaning to say I think either are amazing things... but to take 9 months of ANGST, depression, misery, and generally behaving like no teenaged girl I've EVER met-- particularly one so mature and responsible as Bella Swan was supposed to be--and puttting it into 30 seconds or so of a movie... BRILLIANT.

That said, I have to say the Austen movie Adaptations or even the Dickens (which are better than the books in my opinion again) that have come out lately are probably the best in my opinion.

14. Heidi

Heidi New Member

must agree with those who said Lord of the Rings, although I'm loving the new Narnia series - wishing they'd stayed more faithful to the text in 2 and 3, but hoping they'll continue anyway

hoping that someday, someone's answer might be Shadows and Secrets ;)

15. Chautona

Chautona New Member

Go go go!!!!!!!!!!!