What Is Your Best Writing Environment?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Indie Authors, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you crank up the iPod, turn on the TV for background noise, or need complete silence? Would you rather write in the morning, at night, or just whenever during the day?

What works best for you, and why?

2. Tiffany

Tiffany New Member

Yes to all the above. I like to write in all different environments depending on my mood.

I find that when I write scripts I like to have a movie on in the same genre, but very different characters.

My novel (which is about fairies) I liked to be in a room with Celtic music on in the background.

The short stories, I like to be in quiet, but surrounded by my Beatrix Potter collection along with my A.A. Milne collection.

I do find myself writing mostly at night. I find I can concentrate better and my creative juices flow faster then.

And then sometimes I like to mix it up and do whatever.

Tiffany

3. epulsifer

epulsifer New Member

Of necessity, anywhere. In my journalism days I wrote articles while driving back to the office (made me a menace on the road). My best writing environment is in the living room, standing up at my desk, some heavy jazz (Coltrane/Dolphy/Ayler) playing. Preferably in the mornings, once I have some coffee in me & have located my brain. But I can write just about anywhere.

4. EBraten

EBraten New Member

I like complete quiet. Music distracts me. Being a mother of two toddlers, I don't have a choice about when I can write--it has to be at night. But given the chance, I wouldn't mind writing during the day either.

5. Marinemom2

Marinemom2 New Member

Because of my full-time job, I have no choice but to write in the evening, before my husband gets home from work. I need to be isolated, but do like to play Allison Krauss, and some Chris LeDoux. Over the weekend, I write when I can.

6. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

I can write anytime of the day. I would rather write in the mornings or early afternoons though. Just seems to work better for me. I write better with my I tunes playing in the background. I love music, it helps motivate me and keeps me focused.

7. Lady Suzette

Lady Suzette New Member

Has to be evenings with quiet soft music in the background on my red and gold polka dot writing couch and a cup of tea! LOL

8. ledwardsii

ledwardsii New Member

Quite please!! It lets my mind creat vivid pictures.

9. epulsifer

epulsifer New Member