What Publishing Services Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Indie Authors, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

What publishing services do you use? Are you happy with your results? Share your experience here!

2. Marinemom2

Marinemom2 New Member

I am currently unpublished, but will self-publish with Westbow Press when my book is finished.

3. silumenye

silumenye New Member

I just published with Westbow. I have to say that they did do everything they said they would. And they did distribute my book around the world - I've seen it in bookstores in Sweden, China, Finland, Holland, Germany, throughout the USA, etc. And my book has only been out since October. Overall, I was pretty pleased with them.

4. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

How has Westbow worked out. I ask because they are quite hefty up front and I want to know if the sales have proven to be worth it.

JH

5. Marinemom2

Marinemom2 New Member

silumenye, thank you for the input. That makes me feel a little better about my decision to choose Westbow. Jesterhawk, you are right, their prices are pretty hefty, but they run specials from time to time. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to let you know how the sales are.

6. drdaveherndon

drdaveherndon New Member

I switched from working with Westbow to using CreateSpace. Westbow was nice but we couldn't work out some details. Once Amazon started selling my book, Barnes & Noble did too as well as some other places.

7. silumenye

silumenye New Member

I can't say how many books I have sold yet through Westbow. I am waiting for my first quarterly statement. It should arrive sometime in February. Still, I felt that what I paid was value for money. As I said, they did quite a wide distribution. In my eyes, that alone is worth a lot.

8. dogbone61

dogbone61 New Member

I am using createspace.com which is part of amazon. I have two books with them. I also have them as e-books on kindle at amazon. Didn't cost much at all, which is why I chose that way to go.

9. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

I do all my own design and setup with Adobe's InDesign. I use Ingram's Lightning Source to print the books. They made sure that it got onto Barnes & Noble and Amazon. If I change my percentage rate for publisher compensation, I'll be able to get into more stores. I'm not ready to do that yet though. I am self-published with my own press. I am not doing subsidy or vanity publishing.

10. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

Create Space is the best choice. There are no upfront cost, so it's not a vanity or subsidy publisher. Although they do sell services such as editing, cover design, act.

11. silumenye

silumenye New Member

There is a difference between vanity publishing and paying for POD publishing. I read a really good article in the Writing Magazine that defined the difference. A vanity publisher is someone who claims to be a traditional publisher - but later, after signing the contract, they start demanding money. A legit POD company, for example Westbow, state upfront that you are paying for the service of having your book published.

12. MaryCFindley

MaryCFindley New Member

We have only ebooks at this time, with Amazon and Smashwords, with distribution to B&N, iBookstore, and others. CreateSpace sounds like they have improved customer service since we last investigated them. I am wondering, since we are new to distribution to these other sites, does anyone know if there is a delay in recording sales offsite from Smashwords? Might there be sales that we do not yet know about?