What'S Your Writing Tool Of Choice?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by EBraten, Jan 11, 2012.

1. EBraten

EBraten New Member

I used to use Word or OpenOffice, but late last year I discovered yWriter, and was hooked. I still jot down ideas and puzzle through plotting problems with a notebook and pen. Which tools work best for you?

2. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

I used to write in a blank email, because the little squiggly lines from spelling/grammar checks in Word were distracting when I was on a roll. I would add the text in to a Word document at the end of my writing session. Of course, after a couple times of the electricity flickering and losing my day's work, I broke that habit rather quickly and decided the spell/grammer checks were a tolerable annoyance.

One thing I don't like about word is all the scrolling back/forth to find your current chapter (since I don't always write in a liner). I ended up saving each chapter to its own doc.

How is yWriter different from using Word? Any special features that make it more convenient for writers?

3. Marinemom2

Marinemom2 New Member

I use Evernote for organizing my thoughts and outlining, but I still revert to the pen and legal pad or notebook. Whatever I can get my hands on. Sometimes its the Notes app on my phone. MSWord is where it all ends up.

4. silumenye

silumenye New Member

I tried writer, but I didn't really care for it. Most of the time, I just use MSWord. I save each chapter in a separate doc, and then paste them back together when the book is finished. I also use Onenote to keep various notes, and Excel for story outlines, records, and time lines. On my Android tablet, I use Docs to Go (which I hate, by the way). And that's pretty much all I use.

5. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I just write in Word (sometimes Open Office), and keep most of the notes in my head. I might jot them down on a separate page in the doc, but pretty much I just write what comes any more. Used to outline in Excel, but I haven't needed it on the last four novels.

6. epulsifer

epulsifer New Member

On the computer, any text editor. I really like those distraction-preventing text editors such as Textroom or Pyroom. I seldom use a word processor unless I need to print (not often), and then it's LibreOffice. Evernote for keeping notes. Remember The Milk for my editorial calendar. Pad and paper for drafts and mindmaps. Index cards for just about everything. Camera phone for uploading handwritten notes into Evernote. I like to keep my tools simple; keeps them out of the way.

7. EBraten

EBraten New Member

yWriter is writing software for novelists. I honestly can't praise it enough. I suppose it could be used for non-fiction too, but it was designed for writing novels. It lets you write separate scenes and chapters, which you can reorder as you wish, so no having to scroll through long chunks of text. It gives you a great overview over all your scenes. The files are saved as rich text documents.

It's also a fantastic tool for outlining, if you're that kind of writer, because you can use it to keep character profiles and location notes, as well as putting outline/planning notes in the scenes before you actually write them.

And it's free! It runs on Windows. I don't think it's available for Mac's, but there's a similar piece of software for those--I believe it's called Scrivener.

Here's the link to the developer's page if you want to read more about it. I'll stop now because I'm gushing so much, you may not believe me. ;)

PaulineCreeden likes this.
  8. PaulineCreeden

PaulineCreeden New Member

MS Word here - but looking at yWriter now!

9. elcruci

elcruci New Member

For me i think i do use open office for typing and also microsoft office too which is go for typing because of the dictionary word correction attribute. And we should not forget the most important notebook and pen which comes above all in doing your jotting and can pick it up at any time without hesitation.

10. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

Office 2011 for Mac. For me, it's the best version of Word Microsoft has ever created.

11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Start out with the ol pencil and paper, then move it to Word for the multitude of rewrites.

12. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

I write my ideas down on paper or in a saved draft to my email. Once I get the ball rolling I move over to using Word.

13. fairieswriter

fairieswriter New Member

MS Word, but looking at yWriter. I put it all into InDesign when getting it print ready.

14. ledwardsii

ledwardsii New Member

Pagefour it's awesome.

15. semmie

semmie New Member

I use Word for writing, Excel for everything else. But...I'm looking at ywriter now, too. I'm not sure if it's superbly helpful or superbly distracting. Either way, I'm enjoying it! :)

16. Michael J Scott

I wonder if you guys could help me out: some time back I remember watching a video of some kind of creative writing software, and the thing I really liked about it was that it had this really cool built in thesaurus and word analyzer-something that would let you pick words based upon their syllables or initial letters. It was also linked into wikipedia (or had it's own encyclopedia) so that you could easily research details on a wide variety of subjects to incorporate into your story. And, of course, it had the various plot analytics and tools, as well as a word or phrase overuseage thingy.

The problem, of course, is that I can't remember what it's called!

17. ledwardsii

ledwardsii New Member

Michael

I don't remember seeing anything like that. Was It on the CW? If so you may ask Lynn or one of the old timers. No puns intended.

Louis

18. Michael J Scott

That's the worst part about it, Louis. I can't remember where I saw it. All I know is that it ran between $200 and $300, and looked like it was worth every penny.

19. EBraten

EBraten New Member

Hi, Michael!

I'm learning that there's actually loads of such software out there. Two others that spring to mind: Liquid Story Binder and Storybook. Was it either of those?

20. Michael J Scott

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like either of those.