When Does "Promoting Yourself" Become Annoying?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by hippiechyck, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

;)

i get a little weird about doing all the "self" promotion on one hand

but i want to get the word out on the other

:rolleyes: can't win, eh?

okay, that was just a small rant...i'll put on the big girl pants and get on with it

(i did Tweet to both Darrell and Michael Waltrip today about Sunnie's Rainbow :blink: they both have over 100K followers...since i mentioned them in a missing chapter, i sent them the link to read :ph34r: what was *I* thinking on that one???)

2. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

After about a week.
    Oh, you mean to others, don't you? :D

3. Heidi

Heidi New Member

yeah - marketing is definitely *not* my strong point. :(

4. Chautona

Chautona New Member

It is almost physically painful for me to try to market.

5. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

hmmm, my problem is that i have NO problem talking about the book (although i could not for the life of me tell someone what it's about :huh: )

you know those folks who sell Amway? how do you self-promote but NOT become one of them?

6. Chautona

Chautona New Member

I can only tell people that I know well. Then I don't shut up. A stranger gets pretty much a one or two liner blurb--likely ripped from the back of the book.

7. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I hate self-promotion, but I don't really know any other way to get the word out. My main strategy is to write as many books as I possibly can, announce them once or twice on the various forums (kindleboards, nookboard/forums, mobileread, etc), and then write and release more. I figure, if I can get anywhere close to the fifty or so books swimming around in my head written and released, they'll feed sales into each other as I build a fan base this way.

And if I do it right, and write well, it'll create that magic word of mouth that will put me over the top into that magic land of earning enough or more from my writing alone. B)

8. Michael J Scott

Okay, I spent about a month staying away from self-promotion on the various forums, and watched my sales figures for the month dwindle to a trickle. Given that it's never been much more than a small stream, a trickle isn't good.

So I just updated the three major forums I'm on, hitting all five of my currently available books. And we'll see what happens over the next few days.

I wish there was a way to avoid it, but it just doesn't seem possible.

9. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I HATE promoting myself. It goes totally against the grain for me. Unfortunately, in today's market it is a necessary evil! So the way I look at promotion is that I'm building a reputation of integrity for me as an individual - not solely an author pushing to sell my books. As such, I set guidelines of what, where and how I promote.

Yes, I help other authors, but within those guidelines. I wil not promote erotic, horror, paranormal (vampire or witches crud) or anything offensive to Christians. I speak exclusively about writing and publishing on my blog. People know I'm a Christian, but don't pound the Bible like some Christian authors in all their posts and online activities. However, I have and will defend my beliefs when challenged. I don't engage in political or debate hot button topics on forums. Some authors just throw out personal opinions while promoting their books anywhere and everywhere, indiscriminate of how they appear. If you look at it that way, crafting an image, promoting takes on a different perspective.

10. jonathoncharlap

jonathoncharlap New Member

There are lots of book tubers on youtube and bloggers who are more than happy to review indie books. I have two 4 star reviews on youtube and dozens more on the way. I've also dozens of people add my book on Goodreads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtUgail5wag&list=FLRz89cuvB3UiehbNXMFx6Xg&index=6&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jLmYISCm_Y&feature=plcp&context=C4037544VDvjVQa1PpcFNBsh4nG5un_CzQXLr_EoTj7EpvDUfkLeM=

11. Chautona

Chautona New Member

I wonder...

12. Lendr

Lendr New Member

What I try to do is to promote other Indie writers on my Twitter account by retweeting anything that they tweet. Every now and again I plug my own book and sometimes it generates a sale while other times it doesn't. On forums like these I'll rather participate with chats and try to help instead of outright self-promotion... or try to at least. Sometimes I'm weak. Sue me ;)

I personally believe that Michael J Scott has the best strategy. Write, write, write and the sales will eventually start taking care of themselves.

That's my $0.02 at least...

13. Chautona

Chautona New Member

I agree with that one, Lendr and Michael. Write like mad. It's what this is all about.

14. Michael J Scott

Write, write, write...

As I recover from a small bout of writing "burn out," lemme just offer a caveat: pace yourself. Read. Talk to your family. Engage in the world around you.

I don't know if my burn out came from writing exhaustion, or just the regular old kind of exhaustion (working two jobs, overtime shifts, teaching co-op classes, weekly sermons, and dealing with my wife's recent cancer scare (benign! Yay!), but I've learned that I cannot keep pressing on the gas pedal without getting to the point where I just don't care to put words on paper anymore (er, or a computer screen).

Last night was one of the first times I wrote something in several days, besides the tiny little scratches of text in my notebook. I didn't produce much - just three pages - but I'm hopeful that I can climb back into the saddle again. I've tinkered with a few of my other books in the past two weeks, and I'm hoping that I can begin again on In the Widening Gyre tonight.

15. Y I Lee

Y I Lee New Member

Having to promote ones books is hard work and also I find unpleasant, especially as I'm a basically a shy person. However, it has to be done, noone will know about our books unless we tell them. And these days even trad publishers expect their authors to do pretty much all of the promotion. As authors we have to be willing to wear a lot of different hats.