When Starting Your Book?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by jedi79, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

When you start out with an idea for a new book, which comes first? The character's story or the idea for the novel?

2. Samantha Fury

Samantha Fury Active Member

Great question. I'm blessed that I dream up a lot of my stories so they really come to me in little mini movies. I might not have names or a full plot but it's enough to get me started. When I first wake up I try to grasp as much of the dream as I can and I even will take notes or do an outline.

The Street Justice Series came from a dream well book one, then book two came from just old fashioned thinking, planning and outlining. For those kind of books, that don't start from a dream, normally I start with a Character, then what is that character doing, and then I move from there.

Samantha Fury

3. Jesterhawk

Jesterhawk New Member

I would have to say that in most cases for me the concept of the novel comes first.

For example:
    However that is not a hard and fast rule. I have another fictional story outline that is based on David that I got when i was actually praying on something in the David story. As I did, I became more and more involved in the character of David and then the concept for the fictional story hit me and I have outlines for that.

I am realizing that while I writing this that I have tons of story outlines ready to be fully written when I get the story I am on done :)

JH

Samantha Fury likes this.
  4. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Always the idea. The characters just seem to show up where I need them, and derive their quirks from whatever happens to suit the story.