Where Do You Fit Writing Into Your Day?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Heidi, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Do you have a set time each day that you sit down and make yourself work on your current book whether or not you feel inspired to do so? If so, when and for how long? Do you simply make writing a priority over other duties such as cleaning and sewing? It seems every day, I plan to sit down and write the next chapter and day after day it doesn't happen for one reason or another. Today I have errands to run, rush orders to sew, and all the regular things like schooling the kids. Where do I fit in writing?

2. Chautona

Chautona New Member

When I am in the "busy season" where writing has to take a back burner, I do curl up alone in my room or on the couch and give myself 15-20 minutes every single day. It at least lets me see that I'm still making progress.

Usually, however, I make sure I have at least an hour when no one is bugging me and I write like the wind. If I cannot get into the current project, I let myself plan, work on something else, research, whatever... but I do try to make a minimum of a few minutes of real writing.

3. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

what? there's other things to do beside write? :huh:

Michael J Scott likes this.
  4. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I don't have a set time. Rather, I have a set goal of words I try to crank out each week. I am for 10K. I fail miserably most of the time, but I keep trying. Writing is one of the few things that I actually do. Yes, I have a full time job, a part time job, and I pastor a house church as well as provide writing tutoring to a few local students. But I try and carve out time every day to write. My family complains a lot that I'm always on the computer. And they're right. I'm pretty much always on here. And when I'm not on the computer, (like when I'm taking the kids to hair appointments or guitar lessons or other activities), I take a notepad and pen with me and write free hand. There have been a few times when I've asked somewhere I've been for paper and a pen so I can write while I wait (like waiting for my daughter's choral concert to begin). I hate theme parks, but my family loves them. So when they go, I take a pen and paper with me, and while the rest of the family is swimming in the pool or getting sick on the whirl-a-hurl, I'm sitting in the lounge chair writing (and sure, I take my spin on the whirl-a-hurl and a dip in the pool, too. Just not as much).

In short, I try to write all the time.

The thing is, no one else is gonna write these books for me. I'm no James Patterson. I have to do it myself. And if I ever hope to write the novels spinning around in my head and take my shot at the brass ring, I have to discipline myself to close the minesweeper and solitaire games, log off the internet (and boy have I been bad today!) and actually write. Especially when I don't feel like doing it. I can always find a zillion other things to do with my time. But only one of the things I can do will actually get me where I want to be--and that's writing.

BIC, baby! There's just no substitute. ;)

5. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Thank you for the inspiring post. I know I have time that I need to use more efficiently, that's for sure. And I really do want to get all these books in my head written. :) And Chautona, your 15-20 minute plan is very helpful to me too! I think as moms, our lives are a little different, especially when we still have little ones. I tend to think if I can't do the grandiose plan, I won't do anything. :p

6. jedi79

jedi79 Active Member

For me it is hard t set aside time to write. I have six kids and there is always something going on. I find myself making notes of ideas throughout the week then when I get a chance I piece them together. I sometimes get a chance to get some writing done if I stay up late, and occasionally on the weekends. It is tough to find the time, but worth making time for. Make the time for it even if it isn't that much right now. More opportunity's for time will open up by sticking with it.

7. Chautona

Chautona New Member

I feel your pain, Jedi. I have nine children, but only seven at home. I think age of the kids helps. My youngest is seven. When my oldsest was ten and I had six, I would have gone a bit bonkers trying to write, homeschool, keep on top of chores, shopping, and junk. Now that they're all older, the household machine works well, and school is a smooth groove (for the most part), it's a lot easier.

8. Indie Authors

Indie Authors Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow, Chautona -- you home schooled nine children?! You deserve a medal! Count me as seriously impressed (and quite a bit envious of the amount of patience you must have)!

9. Chautona

Chautona New Member

ROFLOL!!! Hilarious. Patience. That's a good one.

Oh, and I haven't retired yet. Only five (almost) down and four to go. Thankfully number six only has another year.

10. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Patience :) Love it. What's so remarkable about homeschooling nine children ;) (and maybe praying for a tenth)